Hi, Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online with the irc logs here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Server/20100622. ==== Review ACTION points from previous meeting ==== * ttx to coordinate testing for Alpha 2? * ttx was to start Alpha 2 testing coordination during the meeting, so that was not yet done - carry over. * smoser to train someone on the release team on the cloud image release? * an account on build machine is in the works for cjwatson * "training" is mostly written up at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UEC/Images/Publishing * jjohansen to review atop patchset for Alpha3 planning purposes? * handed over to kamal * kamal hoped to be done same day * Daviey to update #588861, if needed against alpha1 * passed to ccheney and jjohansen, who are finding the first bad kernel * jiboumans_ notes this blocks eucalyptus for alpha2 * ttx notes this is higher priority than atop patchset * zul to move the sru tracker code to it's own project? * https://edge.launchpad.net/server-sru-tracker ==== TOPIC] Maverick development (ttx) ==== ttx pointed to http://people.canonical.com/~pitti/workitems/maverick /canonical-server-maverick-alpha-2.html, and pointed out specs should be around 75%. Regarding milestones, he shared https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/maverick/+bugs?field.milestone=27560 of which a few apply to us: * bug 588861 in linux (Ubuntu Maverick) ""pad block corrupted" error when trying to register an image with 2.6.34 kernel" [High,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/588861 * bug 595421 in eucalyptus (Ubuntu Maverick) "Eucalyptus doesn't start with latest stable version of "Groovy"" [High,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/595421 * bug 588410 in eucalyptus (Ubuntu Maverick) "dynamic block storage should use virtio" [High,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/588410 * bug 594372 in tgt (Ubuntu Maverick) "MIR: tgt" [Medium,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/594372 * bug 574554 in tgt (Ubuntu Maverick) "tgtd needs init script or upstart job" [Medium,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/574554 * zul says the upstart script needs to be reiveiwed by the foundations team * bug 594509 in irqbalance (Ubuntu Maverick) "irqbalance main process ended, respawning" [High,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/594509 Finally, Alpha2 ISO testing is coming up, and ttx asked us to subscribe to tests we'd like to run: * http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/build/ubuntuserver/all ==== Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (hggdh) ==== hggdh has installed the latest euca on their test rig, and a test was running. ==== Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (jjohansen) ==== jjohansen reports the EC2 kernel is being problematic, and if a kernel isn't working by friday then alpha2 may have to use a Lucid based kernel. ==== Papercuts status (ttx) ==== Alpha2 iteration status can be seen at https://launchpad.net/server-papercuts/+milestone/maverick-alpha-2. If you lack time to complete these bugs, you are asked to unassign yourself so they can be reassigned. For Alpha3, we are short on nominations. ttx blogged about it in the hopes of provoking more: * http://fnords.wordpress.com/2010/06/21/did-we-fix-all-small-usability- issues-in-ubuntu-server/ ==== Weekly SRU review: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/KnowledgeBase#SRU%20weekly%20review (zul) ==== Zul says that at UDS in Brussels, there was a session about involving more people in nominating SRUs by using the mailing list, rather than the team meeting. He'd like to start that next week, by sending an email to ubuntu-server m-l. ==== Weekly Updates & Questions for the Documentation Team (sommer) ==== Nothing to discuss ==== Open Discussion ==== ttx begs or badgers for papercut nominations. ==== Agree on next meeting date and time ==== Next meeting will be on Tuesday, June 29th at 15:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.
Archive for June, 2010
Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
with the irc logs here.
Review ACTION points from last meeting
* ttx to coordinate testing for Alpha 2 – carry over * smoser to train someone on the release team on the cloud image release – carry over
Maverick development (jib)
Most specs should be around 50% completion right now. If you’re off that mark, you may want to review work items and see if any can be postponed or dropped, or ask for some support some are well ahead of that curve so we should have some slack in that area.
ttx confirmed we are going reasonably well, adding that the UEC specs are slightly late but we’ve been addressing that.
mathiaz has been experimenting with a new format/template for the status section of BP and stated that we should be seeing the output of this in the coming days.
ttx noted that: * UEC testing was rescoped to concentrate on fixing the current issues to get to a stable situation, and engage in training new people. * qa workflow was moved to A3 to give priority to uec-testing. * cloud-init was trimmed down to move prio-3 things as targets of opportunity * cloud-utils first work items were reassigned to clint * uec-ec2-kernel-updates work items were clarified
ttx feels that everyone now has a stable and clear view on what’s expected from everyone and that if someone thinks he cannot make it, please raise the red flag !
Feature Definition Freeze this week (ttx)
ttx drew attention to http://people.canonical.com/~pitti/workitems/maverick/canonical-server-maverick-alpha-2.html and stated it gives a clear commonly shared view on what’s expected.
ttx reminded that Final Definition Freeze is this week, and warned the need to freeze the design on all specs that affect main packages and present those to the release team .
Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (hggdh)
(ttx checks that the awesome Daviey is scribe)
hggdh shares that he has been testing the metadata issue fix, and preparing to get to Lexington next week for a sprint. He notes that the current fix seems to be insufficient, and is still producing issues.
hggdh confirms that the latest lucid SRU for eucalyptus has been moved from -proposed to -updates.
Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (jjohansen)
jjohansen shares the pv-ops kernel for EC2 hasn’t been working out so we are shelving it for at least alpha2 and will update the Xen patches, and comments that zul seems to want to volunteer to work on it. zul clarifies that he wasn’t.
jjohansen confirms the kernel has some known performance regressions, that will probably be in alpha2, freeing time to work on some Amazon EC2 issues, and the performance issues are known upstream and a fix should be in a later RC release.
jjohansen states the kernel team has would like to know some more about Bug #588861. The awesome Daviey confirms that triaging has been somewhat blocked at the moment, as it seems there are other foundation related issues stopping us from even getting as far as that to reproduce the issue. Since, the latest kernel, we haven’t had an enviroment where we can reproduce that. Therefore, i’ve been unable to provide further information OR confirm if the issue is still ongoing in the latest kernel. jjohansen confirms we know its kernel related, and not an update to something else. jjohansen requests that he is kept posted and will recommend adding it to the top 50 bugs for the kernel team.
[ACTION] jjohansen to review atop patchset for Alpha3 planning purposes [ACTION] Daviey to update #588861, if needed against alpha1
Weekly Updates & Questions for the Documentation Team (sommer)
sommer confirms he added some items to the blueprint: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/server-maverick-serverguide-updates , but feels he will need the most help with is the UEC section. kirkland points at Daviey, who tries to point it back to kirkland.
sommer mentions he’ll request help on the clustering section from RoAkSoAx / ivoks, and that he has some updates from ttx regarding tomcat.
Priase is given to sommer for his awesome work. Hugs also seem to be unanimous to Bryce for unclutterring the launchpad whiteboard.
Papercuts Alpha2 subcycle status (ttx)
ttx shares https://launchpad.net/server-papercuts/+milestone/maverick-alpha-2 , and notes that all are assigned and 65% are already fixed, and that there are a shortage of nominations for the next cycle.
New SRU Tracker (zul)
zul introduces that at maverick uds we agreed to change the way we do nominations for SRU. we are taking it to the ubuntu-server list to get more feedback, the email will be starting shortly after some introduction. States that we are also monitoring the status of the SRU nominated bugs (work in progress) at http://people.canonical.com/~chucks/SRUTracker/sru-tracker-bugs.html
zul explains that it is a cron job that sucks in launchpad into a sql database and displays the results. Only running daily, the information might be out of date sometimes.
[ACTION] zul to move the sru tracker code to it’s own project
(Nothing to discuss)
Agree on next meeting date and time
Next meeting will be on Tuesday, 22nd June at 1800 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.
We’re going to cover a number of topics:
- UEC – We’ll do our best to build a fully functioning “private cloud” with just a couple of USB keys.
- Ubuntu Server 10.10 – The release is just around the corner in October, we’ll talk about some of the things planned.
- Feedback – The BoF will be attended by members of the Ubuntu Server development team, so bring your questions and feedback!
Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
with the irc logs here.
Action points from the last meeting
- sommer to try to move server doc spec to Ubuntu specs: DONE
- ttx to document (or delegate documentation of ) package stack names: DONE
The Alpha1 milestone will be released Thursday. Please participate to Server ISO testing to get as much coverage as we can. Current known issues include an oversized CD, due to bug 587893. smoser will publish cloud images soon. Between now and Alpha1 we are in soft freeze and should not upload major changes that could impact negatively the milestone.
ACTION: all to run ISO testing coverage on alpha1
ACTION: smoser to ensure cloud images make it to the alpha1 iso tracker
Alpha2 subcycle status
The Canonical team tracks progress on their specs here. Please remember to keep your work items and Status: line updated in the blueprints, at least once per week before Monday EOB. See the WorkItemsHowto for more info. ttx will reset the trends line tomorrow to something more useful to track progress.
server-maverick-cloud-kernel-upgrades needs some attention since there is some work separation between smoser and jjohansen, and a more detailed work items plan is desired.
On the community side, Mail & cluster stack look in great shape. jib asked to seperate items out for before & after feature freeze to help track things. The doc spec is also in good shape.
ACTION: smoser to coordinate with jjohansen and ttx to provide a more detailed work item overview for server-maverick-cloud-kernel-upgrades
Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team
hggdh verified bug 565101, which should go to -updates as soon as possible. Additionally, he also did a quick test of bug 586134, and seems to work with 512 loop devices configured. There might be a delay in the Eucalyptus SRU due to a potential regression on bug 566793.
Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team
jjohansen is in vacation, so no progress yet on pv-ops. SpamapS mentioned that the proposed PTRACE changes would also affect negatively the ops population, and will chime in on the thread to make that concern known.
Weekly Updates & Questions for the Documentation Team
Lucid serverguide PDF is available on h.u.c. For next week’s meeting, sommer will present new sections for which the doc team will need input from the server team.
ACTION: sommer to present list of sections that need input from server team
Papercuts selection for Alpha2 subcycle
We currently have 14 bugs nominated for a desired total of 16 targets, so choosing between them should be easy. Last-minute nominations can still occur since ttx will proceed with formal selection tomorrow morning. You can also start assigning yourself to those you’re interested in.
Weekly SRU review
SRU nominations were reviewed. The tracker for the new SRU process is under work, with an early view accessible here.
server-maverick-openldap-dit was reviewed and approved. EtienneG brought up the question of which iSCSI target is being chosen for main/UEC: tgt is the answer, and ccheney will work on the MIR, and zul on the upstartification.
Agree on next meeting date and time
Next meeting will be on Tuesday, June 8th at 18:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.
Apologies for this delayed post, I had some confusion in setting up my access to the blog. -clint
Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online with
the irc logs here:
==== Review ACTION points from previous meeting (ttx) ====
* ttx to confirm spec submission deadlines with Jos: DONE
* ttx to walk SpamapS through the spec proces: DONE
==== Maverick Alpha2 subcycle and specs ====
* specs need to be set to review by EOB May 26 (Extends deadline by 1
* design mandatory, implementation (work items) should have a full
rough plan, user stories can be filled in later.
==== Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (hggdh) ====
* zul needs help getting back ability to nominate bugs for lucid
* QA workflow spec to remain as server team's responsibility
==== Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (jjohansen) ====
* status update on ec2/uec kernel upgrades
* built many, none have booted, will check vmlinuz stripping/xen
* CEPH will be enabled in next upload to maverick
==== Weekly status for Server documentation (sommer) ====
* Server guide for lucid had a broken PDF, fix committed and awaiting
upload to "h.u.c" (sommer)
* documentation specs to be moved under Ubuntu launchpad project to
allow usage of work items tracker (sommer)
* [ACTION] sommer to try to move server doc spec to Ubuntu specs
==== Maverick Papercuts: Start of the alpha-2 round (ttx) ====
* All should blog/announce papercuts (ttx)
* Minor features / wishlist are included because not LTS cycle (ttx)
* nominate by marking bugs as affecting 'server-papercuts' project
* nominations will be reviewed next week, sub cycle begins Jun 2nd,
ends week before Alpha2 release
==== Weekly SRU review:
* Two bugs nominated, 567179 & 583542, to be declined pending more
* New SRU review process spec revealed with shiny pictures
==== Open Discussion ====
* EC2 AMI-API tools in multiverse are out of date whenever amazon adds
* PPA vs. backports discussion results in PPA *and* backports upload
as way to get latest tools to users.
==== Announce next meeting date and time ====
* Next meeting will be Tue, Jun 1 18:00 UTC 2010