With the Maverick cycle kicking off and UDS-M just behind us, it’s time to take a look at what’s in store for the next release of Ubuntu Server. In broad strokes, these will be the likely topics:
- Better integration with Upstart
- Further improvements to Mail & Cluster stack
- Adopt Ceph & GlusterFS, MongoDB, Drizzle & Cassandra
- Ease deployments & loadbalancing in the cloud
- For UEC: enabling kernel upgrades, virtio support, new admin UI, easier developer deployment, cloud on a stick and lots more testing
- Adopt & improve the following Java stacks: Tomcat, Ehcache, Hibernate, Hadoop and Pig
Like last iteration, we’ll be reviewing and accepting blueprints proposed for Maverick on a per milestone basis. This week, we’ll review the work for Alpha2 and you’ll be able to track the progress on the work item tracker.
If you’d like to contribute to the Maverick release, please join us at our weekly IRC meetings on Tuesdays between 1800 and 1900 UTC on #ubuntu-meeting on irc.freenode.net. We could especially use your help in the papercuts project and bug triaging!
On behalf of the Ubuntu Server Team,