Archive for April, 2010

Server Team 20100414 meeting minutes

Posted in Ubuntu Server on Wednesday, 28 April 2010 by Dustin Kirkland

Ubuntu Server Team weekly minutes have been published at:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Server/20100428

Summary:

On track for Lucid release.  Get Blueprints filed for Maverick UDS as soon as possible!

Actions:

  • hggdh, zul to get their release note/early SRU bugs known to ttx
  • ALL to mark DONE or POSTPONED the remaining work items for 10.04 by Thu 29 April EOD
  • hggdh to outline testing bottlenecks for UEC testing UDS session
  • Server Team 20100414 meeting minutes

    Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes on Thursday, 15 April 2010 by Thierry Carrez

    Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
    with the irc logs here.

    Review ACTION points from previous meeting

    • mathiaz to fix a broken script with bug reporting link above (not done)
    • ttx to follow up with ivoks/RoaKSoax on cluster stack state (done, but needs refresh)
    • mathiaz to propose removal of dovecot-postfix on MLs (not done)

    [ACTION] mathiaz to fix the “server fixed bugs” broken script

    [ACTION] ttx to follow up with ivoks/RoaKSoax on cluster stack state

    [ACTION] mathiaz to propose removal of dovecot-postfix on MLs

    Lucid release status

    FinalFreeze will hit us tomorrow, and then all uploads will need ReleaseTeam approval, so team members are advised to get every fix they can in by the end of the day. Here is the release-critical bugs status:

    • 556343 (zul): mvo will run the test now again and once its finished, upload the syslog file

    • 532733 (kirkland): forwarded upstream, haven’t made much progress on that one, not able to reproduce it easily (outside of the odd apt-get circumstance)

    • 513273 (kirkland): uploaded fix was rejected, needs bug commenters to help do some testing on it against bochs

    • 533029 (zul): pending on FFe

    • 562261: sync approved, needs ArchiveAdmin action

    Slow progress in the remaining work items in the specs. Eucalyptus merging and packaging should be complete today today, the others are assumed to still be on track.

    Once those higher-priority items are taken care of, you can work on Lucid targets of opportunity. You can find a list of those on the release status page, or go directly to https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+bugs for the complete list. The server team side of the release is appearing to be mostly in good shape, though more testing would not hurt, team members are encouraged to blog/call for that.

    Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team

    hggdh is still working on the issue preventing the UEC test rig to successfully run Topology 2 tests. mathiaz and kirkland will help him debug that. He is slowed down by a kernel issue preventing his KVM to work correctly (needs to try out the latest kernel). The ISO testcases are good since beta2 and should not change until release. hggdh also started to work on the EC2 tests, jump-starting from smoser’s work.

    Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team

    jjohansen reported that bug 530361 (support for DELL H200/H700/H800 SAS cards) was fixed in time for KernelFreeze. The remaining big issue is bug 546743, servers with ATI ES1000 cards don’t get anything on console. jjohansen is still investigating options but we are now past KernelFreeze, which reduces our choices. This can be rolled into a new kernel, workarounded in a kernel cmdline set at install-time, or mentioned in the release notes and shipped in a kernel SRU.

    Weekly SRU review

    zul conducted a quick review that didn’t end up with anything new accepted for SRU. The recently-fixed server bugs query is still broken and cannot be used. Note that zul plans to discuss SRU handling at next UDS.

    Open discussion

    zul mentioned he has been working on getting mysql-5.0 out of universe, and it should be ready to be removed from universe today. Some team members reported starting to have classic pre-release sleep trouble.

    Announce next meeting date and time

    Next meeting will be on Wednesday, April 21st at 14:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

    Server Team 20100407 meeting minutes

    Posted in Ubuntu Server on Thursday, 8 April 2010 by ssmoser

    Beta2 milestone release (ttx)

    • Beta2 will be released tomorrow (Thursday 2010-04-08). Server is looking good.
    • Some Beta2 tasks still remain .

    • 531494 has been fixed, and we are going to give ramdisk-free UEC and EC2 images one last chance. The 20100107.1 build will not have ramdisks and testing should be done both on EC2 and UEC for that. If we run into issues that look related to lack of ramdisk we will revert to using ramdisks for beta-2 and release.

    RC/Final preparation (ttx)

    • Release occurs at the end of the month. Priority until then is:
      • Release-critical bugs
      • Continued specs (eucalyptus-merging, uec-testing, puppet-ec2)
      • Lucid targets of opportunity
    • List of all critical bugs are available at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/ReleaseStatus

    • The FinalFreeze is next week. Please pay special attention during triaging to catch release-critical issues. Feel free to subscribe ttx to those bugs.

    • openldap is in need of some work, regarding update from hardy, per mathiaz “sticky point is the conversion from slapd.conf cn=config”

    Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (hggdh)

    • Test cases in iso tracker have been recently updated.

    Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (jjohansen)

    Weekly SRU review: (mathiaz)

    Call for Maverick blueprints (ttx)

    • Maverick UDS is in a bit less than a month.
    • To register a blueprint, name it server-maverick-* and set Jos Boumans as the approval.

    Open Discussion

    • RoAkSoAx pointed out “Cluster Packages are getting into Debian. Those include ivoks changes… they should be hitting Debian unstable soon, though I’m not sure if they are going to do so in time for us to sync/merge”. In lucid, cluster-agents, cluster-glue, heartbeat are still in universe . RoaAkSoAx will be looking more into this.

    • [ACTION] ttx to follow up with ivoks/RoaKSoax on cluster stack state

    • Per zul, mysql-server-5.0 removal is ready to go in after freeze is lifted.
    • [ACTION] mathiaz to propose removal of dovecot-postfix on MLs

    • mathaiz proposal to drop the ubuntu-serverguide from the archive, was generally met with unhappyness. sommer is planning a SRU update to address the ldap changes, which is the most out of date.
    • Please sponsor packages : http://qa.ubuntu.com/reports/sponsoring/

    Agree on next meeting date and time

    Next meeting will be on Wednesday, April 14th at 14:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

    Server Team 20100331 meeting minutes

    Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes on Thursday, 1 April 2010 by Robbie

    Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
    with the irc logs here.

    Beta2 status

    ttx reminded everyone that Beta2 Freeze was around the corner.

    There are a few beta2-targeted bugs:

    Most of the Work Items targeted for beta2 are not impacted by the BetaFreeze, except for:

    • puppet/uec-ec2: integrate upstream patches for testsuite (mathiaz). Patches are available from upstream. However mathiaz may not have time to integrate them in time for BetaFreeze.

    • id-mgt-ref-env: package latest sssd (mathiaz): He may not have the time to package this bug-fix-only update before BetaFreeze.

    ttx mentioned the addition of a work item covering libvirt compatibility testing. kirkland said he planned to work on libvirt with jdstrand a full day.

    ScottK added that clamav reached RC2 for version 0.96. Testing is welcome and packages are available from the ubuntu-clamav PPA.

    Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team

    hggdh reported he had run the stress and scalability testing on the UEC testing network for Beta1. There are 2 topologies left for testing. Multi-network testing still requires a lot of manual steps. kirkland mentioned that he had the hardware to test multi-network but testing that topology was time consuming.

    ttx asked about adding UEC topologies test cases to the QA tracker. hggdh replied he would add them today.

    hggdh wondered whether the daily -server isos should be tested on a regular basis. ttx replied that pre/post milestones were the most important images to test. If the tests are fully automated and don’t require a lot of hand-holding running them on the dailies could be useful.

    Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (jjohansen)

    jjohansen reported that two bugs related to EC2 had been fixed in the latest kernel upload. Soft lockups are caused by a variety of things but they shouldn’t happen near as often.

    Server Papercuts status for beta2

    ttx reported that 8 bugs were fixed while 2 were left open. ttx would like to discuss how successful the project was and if it should be done again, even on non-LTS cycles. He also confirmed that the project was now closed for this cycle and new nominations wouldn’t be accepted anymore.

    Bug zapping status (kirkland)

    kirkland reported a successful UEC bug zap from last week. mathiaz mentioned he was running a MysQL Bug zap this week.

    Community participation has been rather low for both the bug zapping and server paper cut projects. A session at the next UDS should be dedicated to improve Community participation.

    Information about server survey (nijaba)

    nijaba reported that the result of the Server survey were available to anyone in the community that might need it.

    UDS-M topics

    ScottK brought up the idea of having a session at UDS on what we wanted the next LTS to look like to have an idea of longer term stuff.

    Agree on next meeting date and time

    Next meeting will be on Wednesday, April 7th at 14:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.