Archive for October, 2009

Server Team 20091026 meeting minutes

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes on Tuesday, 27 October 2009 by Thierry Carrez

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
with the irc logs here.

Review ACTION points from previous meeting

  • kirkland to adapt help.ubuntu.com VM recipe(s?) to use libvirt: in progress

ACTION: kirkland to finish adapting help.ubuntu.com VM recipe(s?) to use libvirt

  • mathiaz to add test case for image store in testcases wiki: Done

  • zul to write up server upgrade test case: Done

  • nurmi to investigate bug 455625: TODO

ACTION: nurmi to investigate bug 455625

  • soren to complete demo virtual appliance: Published and tested, could use some polish
  • mdz to chase down details on production image store: Running and tested
  • mathiaz to test UEC integration with production image store: Tested and working OK

Karmic release last actions

Remaining RC bugs:

  • 458850: on track to be included on release cloud images

  • 458576: is safe to fix and would get rolled in the same respin

ISO testing and mentioning relevant bugs in the release notes should be the focus of this week.

Release notes candidates are:

  • 459101: Relay denied from eucalyptus registration emails

  • 444352: DB deadlock on reboot prevents UEC from working, temporarily

kirkland will review the bug lists and mention anything else UEC-related that I think is worth release-noting.

We should also help where we can the Foundations team in solving 457767 (iSCSI boot). It now seems related to kernel issue so wee should update the documentation to reflect current support.

Lucid Lynx

mdz gathered requirements from Canonical stakeholders, with some more to come. Items are expected in the same broad categories as 9.10: UEC, EC2, appliances, enterprise deployment items. But we will aim to focus on stabilization and negotiate our commitments with regard to that. Opening the meeting to 10.04 suggestions, lots of ideas were discussed. A wikipage was created to followup on those suggestions (and allow to suggest more): https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/LucidIdeaPool

ACTION: ttx to create wiki page for 10.04 input from server team (Done)

Open discussion

kirkland mentioned that the new time slot for the meeting (Wednesdays at 1400 UTC) is difficult for him, so we might (again) change it. ttx asked about how the triage days were going, and updated the knowledge base to make information about them more accessible. mdz asked about release parties that the team plans to go to, as a great way to celebrate and let the pressure go. mathiaz plans to get free beers all night.

Agree on next meeting date and time

Next meeting will be on Wednesday, November 4th at 14:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

Advertisements

Server Team 20091020 meeting minutes

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes on Wednesday, 21 October 2009 by Thierry Carrez

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
with the irc logs here.

Review ACTION points from previous meeting

  • kirkland to adapt help.ubuntu.com VM recipe(s?) to use libvirt: Deferred

ACTION: kirkland to adapt help.ubuntu.com VM recipe(s?) to use libvirt

  • zul to fix m2crypto test suite and ensure that MIR is processed: Done
  • mathiaz to add test case for image store in testcases wiki: Not done yet

ACTION: mathiaz to add test case for image store in testcases wiki

  • zul to add missing server-ship packages to ubuntu-server: Done

Karmic RC

Review of remaining karmic-nominated bugs:

  • 455832: Not a regression and not encountered in normal use: untargeted for release

  • 451881: Only affects UEC, and not EC2, not critical for karmic: untargeted for release

  • 410886: vmbuilder needs to have the patch from trunk merged into it: milestoned and assigned to soren

  • 362511: Low importance, won’t get fixed for karmic: untargeted for release

  • 453456 and 455293: see below

  • 455411: Harmless to users, too late to fix: untargeted for release

  • 453495: Specific to qemu-only arches, can be dealt with postrelease: untargeted for release

  • 453453: doesn’t seem realistic to do anything about this bug for 9.10: left at kirkland’s discretion

  • 453467: not 9.10-critical, untargeted for release

  • 407949: milestoned to release, assigned to smoser, will trigger a UEC/EC2 image respin

Review of the Ubuntu-Server-relevant tests on the ISO tracker revealed a few test cases that were not covered by any team member:

  • netboot: Daviey and kirkland will cover those, as they have a local mirror
  • upgrades: zul will cover those cases. This involves defining a test procedure, as the current one is Desktop-oriented.

ACTION: zul to write up server upgrade test case

Eucalyptus status

We fixed ~36 bugs in 9 uploads last week. A few remaining bugs were mentioned during the review:

  • 455816: Given that this is globally harmless and difficult to test between RC and release, it’s unlikely that this will be fixed for release. mathiaz will validate the fix though.

  • 453456: Would be fixed only if log rotation is proved to be non-functional, and can be fixed in a SRU

  • 455293: Fix is committed but is not worth a new upload. Will get in only if something else gets fixed

  • 455625: This bug seems bad, though it still needs to be reproduced. Would get fixed in a Karmic SRU. nurmi is looking into reproducing it.

  • 452556 and 444352: ttx hits those regularly in ISO testing, the first one would warrant a note in release notes, this it seems systematic (task opened)

ACTION: nurmi to investigate bug 455625

UEC/EC2 images

This was reviewed separately and found to be in good shape.

Reference UEC appliance

The demo will very closely resemble what soren posted the week before last. The completely unpersistent appliance will be ready by Thursday.

ACTION: soren to complete demo virtual appliance

UEC appliance store

Integration with the “fake” test store was successfully tested. This needs now to be tested ASAP against the production server, if available. It can be tseted against Soren’s demo appliance but also the stock UEC image.

ACTION: mdz to chase down details on production image store

ACTION: mathiaz to test UEC integration with production image store

UEC documentation

Current community doc (http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEC and http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEC/PackageInstall) needs to be worked on. kirkland, nurmi, mathiaz and ttx stepped up to help in that area. Discussion on splitting the work amongst this team will be held on a mailing-list of kirkland’s choice.

Assigned and to-be-assigned bugs review

455873 was assigned to zul, but since it is for hardy, release-related tasks should take precedence.

AOB

ScottK mentioned that clamav 0.95.3 will likely be released on Monday, so it’ll go to -proposed.

Agree on next meeting date and time

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, October 27th at 15:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

Server Team 20091013 meeting minutes

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes on Wednesday, 14 October 2009 by Thierry Carrez

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
with the irc logs here.

Review ACTION points from previous meeting

  • ttx to review test plans and ensure they are aligned with 9.10: Done, pending some alignment by ara and the QA team
  • kirkland to confirm that his test rig is fully operational: Done
  • kirkland to adapt help.ubuntu.com VM recipe(s?) to use libvirt: Deferred

ACTION: kirkland to adapt help.ubuntu.com VM recipe(s?) to use libvirt

  • mathiaz to work with the QA team on a server bug day for Karmic: Done, running Oct 14
  • mdz to follow up with marjo regarding general QA support in Karmic: Done
  • smoser to follow up with mdz regarding UEC image testing capability: HW received, setup to be done
  • zul to fix m2crypto test suite and ensure that MIR is processed: some more fixups needed to testsuite

ACTION: zul to fix m2crypto test suite and ensure that MIR is processed

  • soren/niemeyer to arrange a meeting to discuss reference appliance plan of action: Discussed via email
  • mathiaz to document test plan for image store: niemeyer wrote instructions in image-store-proxy README

ACTION: mathiaz to add test case for image store in testcases wiki

  • zul to triage his assigned bugs: Done

Eucalyptus status

Eucalyptus is currently at 1.6~bzr919-0ubuntu3. We expect a last upstream merge today, and it’s likely to be > rev925 so we should wait for it before merging (fixes for 430266 and 449944). It should be delivered before 5pm PST on Tuesday. 432154 is still stuck on integration of an upstream patch that might fix SCSI attach. 446023 is also on kirkland’s tasklist and should get fixed asap. 446841 needs some upstream help which nurmi should provide today.

UEC/EC2 images

All serious bugs have now been squashed. 440757 is next on smoser’s list. 444605 should now be marked as completed, since slangasek agreed that with the -kernel-info.txt file and even just the manifest we have what we need.

Server Team bugmail

zul went through the server-ship seeds to make sure that the server team is subscribed to the bugmail for the stuff in the seeds and came up with a list of missing items. After some minor cleanups (packages no longer in the archive that should be removed from the seed), we agreed that this list should be added to ubuntu-server package list.

ACTION: zul to add missing server-ship packages to ubuntu-server

RC – FinalFreeze ahead

FinalFreeze is coming up this Thursday, so most fixes should be in by Wednesday. Only release-critical fixes will be granted an exception after that date. A server bug day will be held Wednesday to help catching the missing bugs that should be targeted to release. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuBugDay/20091014 for more information.

Agree on next meeting date and time

We are still trying to find the best time for this meeting. Something along the lines of what the desktop team uses (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/MeetingTime) could be used to help in the process.

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, October 20th at 15:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

Server Team 20091006 meeting minutes

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes on Thursday, 8 October 2009 by Thierry Carrez

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
with the irc logs here.

Review ACTION points from previous meeting

  • niemeyer to send mathiaz and nurmi a mail with details on how to test the image-store-proxy integration with fakestoreapi.py: Done, though not tested yet
  • ttx and smoser to review the automation of the image publication process: Done. Some automation steps are still in progress, should be completed by RC
  • smoser to open bugs to cover kernel/ramdisk GPL reqs and renaming: Done, bugs 444598 and 444605
  • ttx to test UEC images + UEC kernel/ramdisk on karmic UEC: Done for beta release
  • ttx to see if some bugs assigned to soren need urgent reassignment: Done but needs some update now
  • Daviey to setup a doodle poll and send the url to the ubuntu-server@ mailing list: Done, but suboptimal

Beta release postmortem

ttx reported that beta release went relatively ok, the main issue was lack of UEC testing capability, which made it difficult to confirm the bugs that were found. mdz pointed at a blind spot in testing with regard to the UEC kernel and initramfs, which might require some adjustments on the test plan. Further UEC feature testing should now use the UEC beta image, together with published kernel and ramdisk. The need for at least two complete UEC testing setups in different timezones was mentioned. mathiaz should investigate the possibility of using some hardware from the certification labs. A reference Canonical UEC setup running on 1.6 should be the right place to validate UEC images.

ACTION: ttx to review test plans and ensure they are aligned with 9.10

ACTION: kirkland to confirm that his test rig is fully operational

RC preparation

Status on a few actions:

  • Automate publishing of AMIs to EC2 [smoser]: in progress
  • Publish ec2-version-query in a more appropriate place, automation [soren]: now in smoser hands
  • mathiaz to set up OpenLDAP/sssd test infra on EC2: in progress
  • mathiaz to get help from Michael Vogt on bug 194140: mvo will look at it tomorrow
  • kirkland to adapt help.ubuntu.com VM recipe(s?) to use libvirt: still todo, planned an OpenWeek session about it

ACTION: kirkland to adapt help.ubuntu.com VM recipe(s?) to use libvirt

With FinalFreeze coming up on October 15th, we need to quickly identify missing release-critical issues and regressions in server packages. mdz stressed again the importance of using the regression-potential tag in that process, see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/RegressionTracking for more details. kirkland mentioned libvirt as one package requiring a complete triage effort, quickly organizing a bug day on that package could help. For other packages, zul and mathiaz will be coordinating the effort of sweeping through the bug lists: mathiaz will look at Confirmed/Triaged bugs, while zul will look after New/Undecided ones. Other team members should help in that effort, especially for the packages that they usually take care of. A server bug day should be organized to provide a framework for community participation.

ACTION: mathiaz to work with the QA team on a server bug day for Karmic

ACTION: mdz to follow up with marjo regarding general QA support in Karmic

Parallel to that effort is the need to stay on top of new bugs filed during Beta testing, to quickly identify the potential show-stoppers. A process has been defined to at least set the importance of NEW bugs, and a team member was assigned to each day (to take care of the bugs filed during the day before). The backlog should be taken care of progressively.

Eucalyptus status

kirkland uploaded a new eucalyptus yesterday, merge of an upstream bugfix revision that closes ~12 bugs. ttx tested it, autoregistration still needs another pass as it seems to work by accident in that version (bugs 443325,444504), and a deadlock bug still needs some investigation (444352). kirkland holds a UEC-hardening mini-sprint with mathiaz and nurmi in Austin this week, where bug 432154 and 436977 should be discussed.

UEC/EC2 images

Reviewing the UEC image bug list: smoser will target to release appropriately (bugs 444605 444598 440757), and will take some time to setup a UEC image testing environment. zul should make sure the last MIR gets completed, by fixing the testsuite.

ACTION: smoser to follow up with mdz regarding UEC image testing capability

ACTION: zul to fix m2crypto test suite and ensure that MIR is processed

Reviewing the EC2 images buglist: jjohansen has put up some kernels with tweaked configs (bug 428692). Note that it is possible to test UEC images in plain KVM by passing kernel parameter ec2init=0. ttx and kirkland will dedicate some of their UEC testing time testing the candidate UEC images on smoser’s request.

Virtual appliance

The final design questions around the reference appliance need to be resolved ASAP.

ACTION: soren/niemeyer to arrange a meeting to discuss reference appliance plan of action

On the imagestore proxy side, niemeyer will provide mathiaz with an updated version with a couple of very minor changes today. Testing instructions are in mathiaz’s hands, and need to be documented in a test plan, that the happy few with a UEC setup can help test.

ACTION: mathiaz to document test plan for image store

Assigned bugs

mdz pointed to importance-Undecided bugs on the list, mostly assigned to zul, that need to be cleared. The highest importance triaged bugs on that list are the vmbuilder ones, assigned to soren, which should dedicate some time to vmbuilder tomorrow.

ACTION: zul to triage his assigned bugs

Agree on next meeting date and time

Discussion over a better time for the team meeting should be held on the mailing-list. Everyone should answer there.

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, October 13th at 15:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

Server Team 20090929 meeting minutes

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes on Thursday, 1 October 2009 by Robbie

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
with the irc logs here.

Virtual appliance

kirkland mentioned he moved away from a moodle to a gobby server appliance. He also added that we needed to figure out how to make appliances out of packages that had critical debconf questions. It’s a generic problem and requires admin input on package installation. For the appliance to be useful all configuration should be web driven after instantiation. He asked whether the debconf web frontend could be used for that. cjwatson acknowledged that there was one although it wasn’t very good.

niemeyer reported that the proxy was in a pretty good state now. Work on the server side is required and he is waiting on the server infrastructure for this. He also noted that the server side can be faked with fakestoreapi.py for testing purposes.

ACTION: niemeyer to send mathiaz and nurmi a mail with details on how to test the image-store-proxy integration with fakestoreapi.py.

Asterisk stack

Daviey reported that Asterisk 1.6rc2 had been uploaded to karmic.

vmbuilder

smoser reported that vmbuilder used the seeds to build the list of packages to include in the UEC images. mdz asked that vmbuilder’s version be included in the manifest. This turns out to be less straightforward as vmbuilder trunk branch is currently used to build images.

Automate image publishing and ec2-version-query refresh

smoser reported that the image publication process was somehow automated. He started to write some scripts. The goal is moving towards being ready to work right away on image publication automation as soon as we get some access to amazon from data center.

ACTION: ttx and smoser to review the automation of the image publication process.

Roadmap review / Eucalyptus

kirkland put a huge effort into triaging eucalyptus bugs – the list is usable again.

ttx mentioned that the Eucalyptus help page was outdated especially in the Installer integration section. He asked for help on refreshing the content based on the test cases. alexm offered to review the doc while Daviey will try to update parts of it.

ACTION: kirkland to fix bug 438747, maybe bug 438602, package and push a respin with that package in

Roadmap review / UEC – EC2 bugs

smoser reported that all bugs targeted to beta with ec2-images or uec-images in a tag were fixed as far as he knew.

zul mentioned that amazon had released a new version of ec2-api-tools which added better ebs and vpn support. ttz suggested it was probably too late for the karmic release cycle. zul could just make them available in a ppa and upload it for lucid.

ACTION: smoser to open bugs to cover kernel/ramdisk GPL reqs and renaming

ACTION: ttx to test UEC images + UEC kernel/ramdisk on karmic UEC

Assigned and to-be-assigned bugs

ACTION: ttx to see if some bugs assigned to soren need urgent reassignment

Weekly SRU review

mathiaz conducted the weekly SRU review and relevant bugs have been accepted. He also reminded that the updated SRU workflow in the Ubuntu Server team was using package branches to prepare SRU. sbeattie mentioned he was interested in participating at the review stage making sure that both the package changes (via a merge proposal) as well as the SRU report were in good shape before the upload to the archive.

2009 Server survey status and call for action

nijaba announced he had updated the 2009 Server survey. A test server is available for reviewing the updated questions. Bugs should be filed in LP against the server-survey project.

Agree on next meeting date and time

soren started a discussion on the ubuntu-server mailing list about a new time and date for the meeting. Daviey suggested to use doodle to conduct a poll.

ACTION: Daviey to setup a doodle poll and send the url to the ubuntu-server@ mailing list.

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, October 6th at 15:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.