Archive for September, 2009

Server Team 20090922 meeting minutes

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes on Wednesday, 23 September 2009 by Thierry Carrez

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
with the irc logs here.

Review ACTION points from previous meeting

  • soren to add manifest files to UEC images build system for alpha6: Done
  • Daviey to update Asterisk 1.6 to RC1: In bzr and PPA, need sponsorship

ACTION: Daviey to get his Asterisk 1.6RC2 update sponsored

  • soren to publish ec2-version-query in a more appropriate place: assumed to be in hands of release team

ACTION: soren to clear out status for ec2-version-query publication

  • soren to automate updating of ec2-version-query”: Blocked by previous ACTION
  • zul to ensure rabbitmq-server gets reviewed and promoted: Done
  • soren to sponsor the patch for bug 420581 and update his vmbuilder on nectarine: Done
  • ivoks to file FFe for the redhat-cluster update: Done, bug 429834

Carried-on items, for reference:

ACTION: soren to automate updating of ec2-version-query” (once publication is resolved)

ACTION: kirkland to open discussion on how to best solve the remaining configuration options on Moodle appliance

ACTION: kirkland to get help from soren and smoser on proper UEC-compatible image generation

ACTION: kirkland to discuss with niemeyer and nurmi about image store integration testing

Alpha6 postmortem analysis

Alpha6 went out last week and was globally a smoother release process than Alpha5 release. A few todo items have been identified, to be implemented for beta release:

  • Define seeds for vmbuilder to use (cjwatson, soren)
  • MIR all non-main packages used in images (smoser), in progress

This includes using euca2ools, which in the latest version is ec2-interface compatible.

ACTION: soren to update to latest euca2ools

  • Publish ec2-version-query in a appropriate place (soren)
  • Automate image publishing (smoser)
  • Add build toolchain version numbers to manifests (soren)

ACTION: soren to add image-generation-toolchain version numbers to manifests

Roadmap review: UEC/EC2 images bugs

The karmic kernel used in the Alpha6 images turned out very good. The only issue reported about it is a few missing config options (bug 428692) and lack of modules (bug 429169).

The most blocking issues in those lists are the MIR bugs since they don’t strictly depend on the team and might raise last-minute extra work.

ACTION: zul to follow up on the UEC/EC2 packages MIR status

A bug needs to be filed about the fact that the images include unsupported packages, and targeted to beta.

ACTION: smoser to file one bug for the fact that the images include unsupported packages

Roadmap review: Packaging and integration of Eucalyptus 1.6

ttx performed some feature/usability testing on the Cluster install side that uncovered multiple issues preventing autoregistering of components to work properly. The blocking issue is that it is no longer possible to register using “localhost”, the external IP addresses must be used instead (as they will be passed to other components), see bug 434651. This might involve asking the user for the cluster’s user *and* node facing IPs. euca_conf should also support for forcing local copy of keys (bug 434651).

erichammond asked about euca2ools having to provide ec2-* links to the euca-* commands. At this point this is still under discussion. That discussion needs to happen somewhere, so a bug will be filed to support it.

ACTION: ttx to file bug about providing ec2-* command names which call euca2ools

Roadmap review: Virtual appliance

kirkland reported a slowdown in appliance creation last week, as other priorities kicked in. He encountered some issues creating the images, mostly related to vmbuilder and debconf questions. Several community members contacted him to propose their own VM appliances and appliance builders. mdz said that the reference appliance must be produced this week. We need a fully reproducible build system but producing a reference appliance to exercise UEC and the image store is more urgent. mdz will take the opportunity of being at LinuxCon with kirkland to discuss this more.

ACTION: mdz to sync with kirkland on Virtual appliance status

On the image store side things seem to be under control, with niemeyer pushing last fixes and mathiaz packaging them.

Assigned and to-be-assigned bugs

Review of the bug list raised the following remarks:

  • cjwatson considers himself almost entirely done with the eucalyptus tasks that were assigned to him
  • nurmi mentioned potential need for a few more bits in the init script to take into account /etc/eucalyptus/installer-cc.conf and will follow up with filing a bug if necessary
  • soren has a lot of bugs assigned, ttx will reassign a few to himself
  • mdz noticed that wishlist bugs should be omitted from that list unless they’re targeted

ACTION: ttx to poke QA team about omitting untargeted wishlist bugs from the buglist and add something to those pages which tell you who to contact about them

Weekly SRU review

Most bugs in the recently-fixed bug list pertain to karmic only, so nothing stands out as SRU-worthy. No nominations this week.

On the list of accepted bugs with an assignee, zul said most of them are now waiting to be accepted into *-proposed. mathiaz said we should start using bzr branches to handle the SRU process, and wanted to involve sbeattie in the process.

ACTION: mathiaz to involve sbeattie in the Weekly SRU review process

Open Discussion

erichammond said he still can’t update importance on any ec2-images bugs, as he is not a member of bugcontrol yet. mdz fixed it.

Agree on next meeting date and time

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, September 29th at 15:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

Soren should soon start a discussion about moving the meeting to another time, as the extended duration of the meeting doesn’t fit “people in CET with families” constraints.

Advertisements

Server Team 20090915 meeting minutes

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes on Wednesday, 16 September 2009 by Thierry Carrez

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
with the irc logs here.

Review ACTION points from previous meeting

  • smoser to tag existing UEC image bugs with “uec-images”: Done
  • soren to ensure that smoser can update the UEC publishing scripts: Done
  • smoser to add MD5SUMs for UEC images: Done
  • soren to add manifest files for UEC images: Code landed in VMBuilder, will be added to build system today

ACTION: soren to add manifest files to UEC images build system for alpha6

  • smoser to open dialog with IS about automated publishing to EC2 and agree on a plan: Done, ticket 35660
  • soren to automate updating of ec2-version-query: Blocked on automated publishing

On that subject, nijaba mentioned it would probably be good to have a human-readable equivalent page updated at the same time. This should be discussed on ML and/or as a future meeting egenda item.

  • soren to publish ec2-version-query in a more appropriate place: soren needs to get back to slangasek on that.
  • smoser to add ec2-images tag to the relevant bugs: Done
  • nijaba to fold #ubuntu-ec2 and #ubuntu-cloud into #ubuntu-server: Done
  • soren to triage all eucalyptus bugs, and use the ‘eucalyptus’ tag for bugs which should be escalated to the eucalyptus team: Was done, but now needs a refresh
  • kirkland to build a proof of concept alfresco appliance: This was retargeted, see below.
  • mathiaz to get niemeyer’s proxy code packaged: Done, MIR ready.
  • zul to ensure rabbitmq-server gets reviewed and promoted: Still waiting on MIR team, zul will ping them again today.
  • mathiaz to upload openldap 2.4.18: Done
  • kirkland to speak with marjo about how to get qemu-kvm tested prior to release (and more generally server applications like it): Done, will hold a bugday in 2 weeks
  • mathiaz to get a server dev team set up in LP and work with TB to get it set up for archive reorg: This is believed not to be needed for now. However mathiaz will have a look at the package sets again.
  • ttx to update server team Roadmap to reflect current projects: Done
  • Daviey to call for testing of Asterisk 1.6: Done

On that subject, Daviey mentioned the opportunity to update to RC1 (we are using 1.6beta4 now and are expected to move to 1.6 release in the end). ttx advised to release early and often, especially since RC1 is a bugfix-only update from beta4.

ACTION: Daviey to update Asterisk 1.6 to RC1

For reference, here is the list of ACTIONs from last meeting still in progress:

ACTION: soren to automate updating of ec2-version-query

ACTION: soren to publish ec2-version-query in a more appropriate place

ACTION: zul to ensure rabbitmq-server gets reviewed and promoted

Alpha6 remaining actions

The alpha6-milestoned buglist is empty of server-related items, so the question was up if any alpha6 targets were missing from the list. Bug 413789 was mentioned, but retargeted to 9.10-beta, pending help from mvo on resolution.

Some release process improvements were also targeted for alpha6, here is the status on them:

  • Add signed MD5SUMS (slangasek): slangasek has now access to nectarine and proceeded on adding that.
  • Add manifest file for each image (soren): 87% done, see ACTION above
  • Automate publishing of AMIs to EC2 (smoser): Deferred to beta release
  • Automate updating ec2-version-query (soren): Blocked on automatic publication, so deferred
  • Publish ec2-version-query in a more appropriate place (soren): needs more discussion with slangasek
  • Ensure inclusion of relevant news in release notes (erichammond): Blocked on manifest generation

Roadmap review: UEC/EC2 images bugs

smoser compiled a detailed status at http://paste.ubuntu.com/271503/. ttx asked about bug 420581 which is targeted for alpha6: it needs soren to pull the patch, review it, sponsor it, and then update his vmbuilder on nectarine, which should be completed for today.

ACTION: soren to sponsor the patch for bug 420581 and update his vmbuilder on nectarine

smoser reported last week release of ami-a40fefcd and ami-3fb25256 to ubuntu-ec2, ubuntu-cloud last week. This is the first image we’ve published with karmic kernel by default. We’ve got fairly good feedback, the only real issue raised is on bug 428692. smoser is also working with jono, jorge and ara to get a community test plan together. ttx asked about bug 418130, which should be targeted for alpha6 since we are to release it with a Karmic kernel, and smoser retargeted it. erichammond asked whether kernel modules and a “loop” fix were going into Alpha6. smoser answered that those are 9.10-beta targets, though the kernel modules fix might make it into alpha6.

Roadmap review: Packaging and integration of Eucalyptus 1.6

As already mentioned, the list needs a refresh. No other comments from the crowd.

Roadmap review: Virtual appliance

niemeyer was not present to the meeting, but the image-store-proxy is currently blocked on the image-store-proxy MIR. During the ACTION review, kirkland mentioned a change in reference appliance. Alfresco was abandoned due to its dependency on sun-jdk, partner-only packaging and lack of community testing. The current target is Moodle, which is in main, all open source and has a nice first-time setup via a web front end. A proof of concept image was produced at http://rookery.canonical.com/~kirkland/ubuntu-9.04-moodle.qcow2.bz2 (260Mb). One remaining issue is the need to dpkg-reconfigure on first login, forcing the user to make a few selections. Most of them can have sane defaults, but FQDN probably can’t. Various possible workarounds were suggested, but none of them stood out as appropriate. This should be further discussed off-meeting.

ACTION: kirkland to open discussion on how to best solve the remaining configuration options on Moodle appliance

The appliance as generated now cannot be run in UEC (qcow2 format), nor would it be able to show up in the Eucalyptus Image Store.

ACTION: kirkland to get help from soren and smoser on proper UEC-compatible image generation

ACTION: kirkland to discuss with niemeyer and nurmi about ImageStore integration testing

Roadmap review: Other specs

On the Cluster stack front, ivoks reported everything for pacemaker as done and in karmic, ready for shipping. On the other hand, RHCS needs one more update (bug 429834). Looking at the extent of the update, this certainly requires a FeatureFreeze exception.

ACTION: ivoks to file FFe for the redhat-cluster update

With upload of OpenLDAP 2.4.18, the directory-enabled-user-login spec is feature-complete. It now needs testing.

Assigned and to-be-assigned bugs

The buglist at http://qa.ubuntu.com/reports/team-assigned/canonical-server-assigned-bug-tasks.html doesn’t show any bug needing to be reassigned. ttx wanted some feedback on proposed solution for bug 425928, and got a general agreement on that.

Weekly SRU review

The proposed bugs lists were reviewed and appropriate nominations were accepted. The list of accepted bugs with an assignee was also reviewed and updated.

Agree on next meeting date and time

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, September 22nd at 15:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

Server Team 20090908 meeting minutes

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes on Wednesday, 9 September 2009 by Robbie

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
with the irc logs here.

UEC images

There was a discussion on how to track bugs affecting UEC images. The outcome was to use the “uec-images” tag. ubuntu-bug and apport should also use it when filling bugs from an UEC image.

Test cases have been updated to include an EC2 test of the UEC images. That should be enough for now to make sure the UEC images are working correctly.

ACTION: smoser to tag existing UEC image bugs with “uec-images”

ACTION: mdz to follow up on ubuntu-bug/apport for uec images

EC2 AMIs

The release process for EC2 images was reviewed in view of Alpha6 scheduled for next week.

ACTION: soren to ensure that smoser can update the UEC publishing scripts

ACTION: smoser to add MD5SUMs for UEC images

ACTION: soren to add manifest files for UEC images

ACTION: smoser to open dialog with IS about automated publishing to EC2 and agree on a plan

ACTION: soren to automate updating of ec2-version-query

ACTION: soren to publish ec2-version-query in a more appropriate place

The state of the EC2 kernel was also discussed. zul reported that a 2.6.31-rc6 kernel based on the Xen patches had been successfully booted on ec2. Merging the patch into the karmic tree was under way.

ACTION: mdz to confirm ec2 kernel status for alpha 6

ACTION: smoser to add ec2-images tag to the relevant bugs

ACTION: mdz to see that bug documentation is updated for uec-images, ec2-images tags

ACTION: nijaba to fold #ubuntu-ec2 and #ubuntu-cloud into #ubuntu-server

Packaging and integration of Eucalyptus 1.6

As agreed with the Eucalyptus team relevant bugs should be tagged with ‘eucalyptus’. soren announced that Eucalyptus 1.6 had landed in Karmic. The installer experience has been reviewed by the Eucalyptus team and bugs have been filed. cjwatson is looking at them.

ACTION: soren to triage all eucalyptus bugs, and use the ‘eucalyptus’ tag for bugs which should be escalated to the eucalyptus team

Alfresco appliance

The main blocker to produce an appliance was the dependency on Sun jdk. Its EULA needs to be accepted by the end user when deploying the appliance.

ACTION: kirkland to build a proof of concept alfresco appliance

Appliance store

niemeyer reported that most of the code had been written. The store UI has already been integrated in Eucalyptus 1.6.

ACTION: mathiaz to get niemeyer’s proxy code packaged

Canonical application support

ACTION: zul to ensure rabbitmq-server gets reviewed and promoted

Directory items

2.4.18 has been released on Sunday and the FF Exception has been granted.

ACTION: mathiaz to upload openldap 2.4.18

CIM/WBEM

mathiaz reported the spec was implemented. More testing is welcome.

KVM-QEMU testing

kirkland noted that most of the bugs on kvm / qemu were reported after RC. He asked for ways to increase the testing of kvm in the development release.

ACTION: kirkland to speak with marjo about how to get qemu-kvm tested prior to release (and more generally server applications like it)

Server developer team in LP for ArchiveReorganisation

Package sets are available in Launchpad, and cjwatson was looking for the appropriate teams to have privileges on them. But there didn’t seem to be an appropriate team for Server Edition. If the server team wants to take advantage of the ability to provide upload privileges for server bits without requiring core-dev, somebody will need to sort it out.

ACTION: mathiaz to get a server dev team set up in LP and work with cjwatson to get it set up for archive reorg

Assigned and to-be-assigned bugs

The list will be used to keep track of active bugs in the team. The list needs to be reviewed and kept up-to-date.

Progress on Roadmap

The ServerTeam Roadmap is not up-to-date.

ACTION: ttx to update server team Roadmap to reflect current projects

Asterisk

The Debian VOIP hasn’t responded yet.

ACTION: Daviey to call for testing of Asterisk 1.6

SRU review

ACTION: mathiaz to produce a list of accepted bugs for packages related to the ubuntu-server team.

Agree on next meeting date and time

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, September 15th at 15:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

Server Team 20090901 meeting minutes

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes on Tuesday, 1 September 2009 by Robbie

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
with the irc logs here.

FFE for bacula

ivoks reported that bacula 3.0.X was available from the ubuntu-bacula team PPA.

Asterisk

Daviey announced that the Asterisk stack in karmic had been updated to 1.6. Discussion is still going with the Debian maintainers about the dkms version of dhadi. Testing is welcome.

jmdault added that asterisk-addons needed a Feature Freeze Exception. A bunch of other packages (eg asterisk gui) will be made available from the ubuntu-voip team PPA.

ACTION: Daviey to follow up with the Asterisk Debian maintainers about adopting dkms for dahdi

ACTION: Daviey to call for testing of Asterisk 1.6

SRU Weekly review

The different bug lists were reviewed during the meeting.

ACTION: mathiaz to produce a list of accepted bugs for packages related to the ubuntu-server team.

MIR for ubuntu-fortunes and default install

nijaba proposed to file a MIR and get the fortunes-ubuntu-server package installed by default.

ACTION: nijaba to write up a MIR and file a FFe for fortunes-ubuntu-server

Agree on next meeting date and time

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, September 8th at 15:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.