Archive for July, 2009

SRU call for testing: clamav 0.95.2 in jaunty-proposed

Posted in Ubuntu Server on Friday, 31 July 2009 by Robbie

Scott Kitterman announced that version 0.95.2 of clamav had been uploaded to jaunty-proposed. If you have access to a test environment providing mail services testing the package in jaunty-proposed can be easily done. Feedback should be reported to bug 394870.

Server Team 20090728 meeting minutes

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes on Tuesday, 28 July 2009 by Robbie

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
with the irc logs here.

mathiaz had a chat with bdmurray about a way to generate a list of bugs that have been fix for a previous week. bdmurray has a script that almost does the job.

ACTION: mathiaz to follow up with bdmurray about the list of fixed released bugs related to the ubuntu-server team.

Ubuntu HA team: Cluster stack update

mathiaz reported that the latest version of drbd had been uploaded to Debian. It was using DKMS as suggested by ivoks. The drbd package has been synced in Ubuntu Karmic.

RoAkSoAx updated the Ubuntu HA roadmap. We are just waiting for the Debian packages of pacemaker and heartbeat, since openais is already in Debian experimental, and corosync is about to reach it.

Mysql 5.1 in karmic main

mathiaz announced that MySQL 5.1 had been uploaded to Debian unstable and outlined a proposal to move 5.1 from universe to main. The two identified blockers have been solved:

  1. The test suite is run during the 5.1 build.
  2. In MySQL 5.1, cluster support is disabled. Upgrades from 5.0 to 5.1 are aborted if the NDB cluster engine is used and a message suggests to remove the mysql-server package.

Uploading 5.1 to main now would mean going through another library transition.

ACTION: mathiaz to send an email to ubuntu-devel@ outlining the proposal to move 5.1 into main.

Cloud power management

kirkland considers that powernap and powerwake are feature-complete. He is in testing mode and is looking for a rackable server that has S3 in /proc/acpi/sleep. Anyone willing to help out should contact him.

Ubuntu Server Guide

sommer has been busy updating the Ubuntu Server Guide according to the plan laid out during UDS.

Asterisk

jmdault resumed his work on getting the Asterisk stack updated in Ubuntu. More work is required and cooperation with the Debian team is going on. mathiaz suggested to write up a basic outline of a plan for Karmic in a wiki page.

ACTION: jmdault to write up a basic plan for Astrisk for Karmic.

Agree on next meeting date and time

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, August 4th at 15:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

Server Team 20090721 meeting minutes

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes on Friday, 24 July 2009 by Robbie

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
with the irc logs here.

ttx brought up the problem of making sure that ‘fix released’ bugs were properly reviewed for SRU worthiness. The missing part today is someone making sure everything relevant is nominated. The proposal is to get a list of fixed bugs in the past week, review it in the server meeting and nominate relevant ones.

ACTION: mathiaz to come up with a way to generate a list of fixed bugs in the last week for packages relevant to the ubuntu server team.

Preparing a 2009 edition of the Server Survey

nijaba announced it had almost been a year since the first survey had been launched. He started to update the question set for this September. Anyone interested in helping should have a look at the wiki page and file bugs against the project with suggestions.

ACTION: nijaba to write a blog post asking for review of the ubuntu-server survey questions.

Ubuntu HA team: Cluster stack update

RoAkSoAx worked on updating ipvsadm to 1.25 which includes support for ipv6. ivoks is still working on the pacemaker update.

ACTION: RoAkSoAx to update the Roadmap section of the Ubuntu HA team with a short description of how the cluster stack would look like in karmic

Cloud power management

kirkland released powernap and powerwake as two opensource pieces of the puzzle. Hooks have been added to eucalyptus to use powernap to suspend/hibernate/poweroff cloud nodes when unused and powerwake to resume them when demand requires. UEC is now a “breathable” cloud.

kirkland added that powernap was actually generally useful for servers: sort of like a screensaver, but instead of saving your screen, you’re saving your powerbill (and the planet). He is interested in other ideas, use cases, servers where powernap can be used.

Agree on next meeting date and time

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, July 28th at 15:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

Server Team 20090714 meeting minutes

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes on Wednesday, 15 July 2009 by Thierry Carrez

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online with the irc logs here.

Activity reports

kirkland reported the recent release of PowerNap, a tool part of the Ubuntu cloud power management solution. RoAkSoAx has been testing Pacemaker-Heartbeat clusters and fixing a couple of bugs. He should call for testing soon, and prepare HowTo’s on how to integrate such clusters with DRBD. alexm has been reviewing the monitoring Server Guide section and participated in testing the -proposed kvm-84 in jaunty.

Open discussion

Daviey questioned the current involvement of the server team in handling SRU bugs related to server packages. ttx commented that though acceptation of SRUs is the prerogative of the -sru teams, the Ubuntu Server team could definitely do a better job at tracking server-related SRU candidates and, when accepted, pushing them to completion. This interesting discussion deserving some preparation, it should be made a full agenda point in the next team meeting.

ACTION: ttx to add “SRU tracking” as a subject on next meeting agenda

Agree on next meeting date and time

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, July 21st at 15:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

Server Team 20090707 meeting minutes

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes on Thursday, 9 July 2009 by Robbie

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
with the irc logs here.

ubuntu-tips

nijaba added more rules to the server tips wiki page. The main rules are that tips should not be any longer than 2 lines of 80 characters and they should be relevant to packages in main.

Merges

kirkland reminded that Debian Import Freeze was in effect and that the goal was to get all of the outstanding merges done by Feature Freeze on August 27. Working on merges is one great way to gain experience in order to become a MOTU.

Drbd

ivoks reported that he had been working on a new package for Ubuntu that used dkms. The package is currently available from the Ubuntu HA PPA and is waiting to be pushed in Karmic. The Debian maintainers have also shown interest in using a DKMS-enabled package.

Cluster stack

RoAkSoAx and ivoks worked on updating the cluster stack in the ubuntu-ha team. pacemaker, openais and corosync have been fixed and some of them are available from the Ubuntu HA PPA.

Php 5.3

zul and ajmitch have been looking at getting php 5.3 in karmic. 5.3 has been uploaded to experimental to get more testing there. The big difference with the current version in karmic (5.2) is that the suhosin patch has not been ported to 5.3 yet. The security team doesn’t feel comfortable with shipping php without the suhosin patch enabled.

It was decided to push 5.3 into a PPA to get wider testing from the Ubuntu community. Once the suhosin patch is ported to 5.3 and enabled in the build 5.3 can be uploaded to karmic.

An ubuntu-php-team should also be created to handle the maintenance of the php PPA. There have also been some requests for backported versions of php. A PPA and -backports are options to handle this use case.

Agree on next meeting date and time

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, July 14th at 15:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

Server Team 20090630 meeting minutes

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes on Wednesday, 1 July 2009 by Thierry Carrez

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online with the irc logs here.

Hadoop

ttx created a draft spec document where he copied his notes on Hadoop packaging: the analysis of the dependencies that would need to be packaged and a review of the current Hadoop deb packaging by Cloudera. Anyone interested in packaging Hadoop can take the spec (and blueprint) from here to make it a reality.

Asterisk

jmdault confirmed that the target for karmic should be Asterisk 1.6, as there is not so much interest around in keeping 1.4. Upstream in particular doesn’t commit to any particular stable version. jmdault will start working on a 1.6 version of his DKMS-enabled Asterisk packaging.

ACTION: jmdault to start packaging asterisk 1.6+dkms

ubuntu-tips

nijaba created a wikipage and asked for comments about it. He reported no strong reaction against it from the community, more of an approval. The next step is to create an ubuntu-tips package, even if there aren’t many tips so far on the page, as they can be added later. ttx asked about rules on what makes an acceptable tip, and nijaba will add proposed rules to the wikipage. ttx also pointed out the need to be able to follow-up on some tips, so rules on what would make a good external reference link are also needed.

ACTION: nijaba to add rules detailing what makes a relevant tip and what’s not

Review progress made on specifications listed on the Roadmap

ttx commented that the current ServerTeam/Roadmap document is slightly out of date, so a general overhaul of that page seems to be needed. This should be discussed as a specific agenda point in the next meeting, so that everyone can prepare to the discussion.

ACTION: ttx to add Roadmap Review to next meeting agenda

As far as KarmicReleaseSchedule is concerned, please note that we passed DebianImportFreeze last week, so now syncs from Debian are subject to specific sync requests. Next milestone is Alpha3 release on July 23.

Open Discussion

alexm reported multiple recent requests about monitoring tools. zul mentioned nagios as the recommended tool, but alexm noticed that there wasn’t any mention of it in the Server Guide. sommer indicated that there is a nagios section in the Karmic Server Guide, however the only way to access it so far is to pull the bzr branch. sommer will make sure doc.ubuntu.com is updated. alexm offered to review this section contents.

Agree on next meeting date and time

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, July 7th at 15:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.