Likewise Open 5.0 available in Jaunty
By popular demand, Likewise Open 5.0 – which provides authentication services for Active Directory Domains – is now available in Jaunty! This release brings key improvements through a complete rewrite of the underlying services:
- New threaded authentication service (lsassd) results in improved system responsiveness under heavy load, faster online/offline detection for mobile users
- Inclusion of idmap compatibility plugins for Samba 3 file and print servers
- DCE/RPC support for TCP, UDP, and Named Pipes transports
- New auditing and logging service (eventlogd) using sqlite3 as the storage engine
- New domain controller location service (netlogond)
This was released in Jaunty as a separate set of packages named likewise-open5. The reason behind this was that Likewise Open does not support (yet) upgrading from 4.1 to 5.0 without forcing systems to rejoin the domain. Since this operation requires Windows Domain Administrator credentials that may or may not be available at upgrade time it was considered better to let the two versions co-exist in 9.04, with likewise-open (4.1) in main and likewise-open5 (5.0) in universe.
Try it out by running:
sudo apt-get install likewise-open5
Warning: If likewise-open is already installed this will result in the removal of the Likewise Open 4.1 packages and make the system leave the AD domain! Both 4.1 and 5.0 should behaves the same way. An Active Directory domain can be joined using the GUI (likewise-open5-gui) or the CLI tool:
sudo domainjoin-cli join test-ad.company.com Administrator AdminPassword
The likewise-open5 packages are quite new and have been added late in the release process. Testing and reporting any bugs (especially regressions fro 4.1) to Launchpad is welcome!