Server Team 20080812 meeting minutes

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
with the irc logs here.

Remove multiuser options and updating init scripts

zul reminded that the multiuser option is no longer supported in Ubuntu. james_w filed bugs to keep track of the packages that need to be fixed. They’re pretty easy to fix, and any help will be appreciated. mathiaz suggested to write up a blog post about it.

ACTION: james_w to write a blog post about removing multiuser options.

New eBox packages

foolano gave an update on the ebox packages: ebox-mail, ebox-mailfilter, ebox-trafficshaping and ebox-webserver are good candidate to be included in intrepid. These packages are available in the ebox-unstable PPA. He asked for sponsoring to get them in universe before FeatureFreeze. soren suggested to check if the per-package upload ACL system could be used to grant foolano upload privileges just of the ebox packages.

ACTION: foolano to send an email to the MC to get upload rights to the ebox package

ISV’s – VMware on Gutsy and Hardy

owh asked about the state of the vmware-server package available from Canonical’s partner archive. A version for hardy hasn’t been released yet. dendrobates stated that kernel abi changes are problematic and we are trying to reduce them to make it easier.

Ubuntu VM builder

soren finally got it to build a Xen based image. He’ll put out an e-mail when it’s ready for actual use. Developers are very welcome to pitch in. The “–help” option is quite verbose and should be a good starting point. The code can be found in the python-rewrite branch.

Migrate openldap configuration to cn=config

mathiaz uploaded version 2.4.11 to intrepid. The default configuration backend has been switched to the cn=config tree. Migration from slapd.conf to cn=config is being done during the upgrade.

Tomcat6 server stack support

Koon announced that tomcat6 had been uploaded to intrepid. It’s currently sitting in the NEW queue. Testing is welcome.

He’s also working on reducing openjdk-6-jre-headless dependencies so that it doesn’t pull half of a desktop install in servers just to run tomcat6. He filed bugs and attached debdiffs to it. He is waiting for sponsoring.

Boot Support for Degraded RAID

kirkland has been working on adding RAID support to grub-install. His patch is waiting for sponsoring. He hopes it will make it for alpha4 scheduled to be released on Thursday. If so mathiaz suggested that this new feature should be documented in the Release Notes in order to get more testing.

The last item he’s working on is adding a question during the installation on whether the system should be set to boot from a degraded array (defaulting to No, which matches the current behaviour).

ACTION: kirkland to document BootDegradedRaid in the release notes if it’s included in alpha4.

Agree on next meeting date and time

nealmcb aggreed to run the meeting next week as mathiaz and Koon won’t be available.

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, August 19th at 15:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

Advertisements

2 Responses to “Server Team 20080812 meeting minutes”

  1. I found your site on technorati and read a few of your other posts. Keep up the good work. I just added your RSS feed to my Google News Reader. Looking forward to reading more from you down the road!

  2. Any of this stuff going into Debian?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: