Archive for August, 2010

Watch out for Maverick Glusters – Coming to a cloud near you

Posted in Ubuntu Server with tags , , , , on Friday, 20 August 2010 by spamaps

GlusterFS is a nice flexible clustered filesystem for Linux servers, and (through several methods) a few different client OS’s. It is included in Debian, and so, we have it available in the Ubuntu universe archive.

With Maverick (soon to be Ubuntu 10.10), we wanted to see how easy it would be to setup a gluster server and client on EC2, using nothing but our nifty cloud-init tool in Maverick. Once we got the mounts working right This proved pretty easy actually, as gluster has a really simple initial setup.
Continue reading

Server Team 20100817 meeting minutes

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes with tags , , , , , , on Wednesday, 18 August 2010 by spamaps

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
with the irc logs here.

Meeting Actions

  • SpamapS to submit rubygems change proposal as Important bug in Debian and CC ubuntu-devel
  • zul to nudge forward upstart script review process
  • jjohansen to review bug 493156
  • zul to review papercut status of bug 582963

Review ACTION points from previous meeting

  • everyone to pick 1 or 2 papercuts for the beta cycle
    • deferred until later point of order
  • zul to continue clean up the SRU assigne list by prodding people on status: DONE
  • SpamapS to finalize and send ruby gems proposal to ubuntu-devel
    • proposal finalized, action for coming week to submit as bug on debian rubygems package
  • ttx to send email about 10.04.1 release process to server team: DONE

Maverick development (jib)

Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (hggdh)

  • (hggdh) UEC testing is progressing and build 1231 was pending build on a PPA before testing could commence on it.
  • (hggdh) QA is taking a look at bugs that are tagged regression-* and will be pushing server-team related bugs

Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (jjohansen)

  • https://launchpad.net/bugs/574910 – high load for lucid on ec2 – is mostly phantom load, plan is to close that bug and open more specific bugs to target the issues that have caused so much piling on.

  • (Omahn) requested review of bug 493156 https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/iotop/+bug/493156

  • (jjohansen) pv-ops kernel is still buggy, there is a chance the -ec2 kernel will have to be used instead. smoser doesn’t want to see that happen, but acknowledges that it may be necessary.
  • (jjohansen) kernel tema will be making the “pv-on-hvm drivers” available for testing purposes in a PPA

Weekly Updates & Questions for the Community Team (kim0)

  • kim0 was unable to attend, so this topic was skipped

Weekly Updates & Questions for the Documentation Team (sommer)

  • (sommer) says things are going smoothly, and he will have time to work on some new content this week
  • (sommer) String Freeze is Sept 9. sommer has discussed dropping the ubuntu-serverguide package and forwarded that discussion to the ubuntu-server mailing list after the meeting.

Papercuts status (jib)

  • Two papercuts were left, and mathiz and zul stepped up to claim/evaluate them

Open Discussion

  • (mathiaz) 10.04.1 ISO testing had all server tests completed.
  • (andreserl) cluster stack is waiting on a MIR for pacemaker to be approved

Agree on next meeting date and time

Next meeting will be on Tuesday 2010-08-24 at 1800 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting

Server Team 20100810 meeting minutes

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes on Wednesday, 11 August 2010 by Thierry Carrez

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
with the irc logs here.

Meeting Actions

  • everyone to pick 1 or 2 papercuts for the beta cycle
  • zul to continue clean up the SRU assigne list by prodding people on status
  • SpamapS to finalize and send ruby gems proposal to ubuntu-devel
  • ttx to send email about 10.04.1 release process to server team

Review ACTION points from previous meeting

All actions were incomplete and were carried over. The rubygems proposal is being finalized, with the hope to fix it in maverick, but more realistically for maverick+1.

Maverick development (jib)

Alpha3 was delivered last week, beta started with this list. This should be vetted by everyone, so that’s the deliverable as far as jib is concerned.

10.04.1 release (ttx)

10.04.1 was just postponed to next Tuesday, so initial plans need to be adjusted. Since ttx and Daviey will be away, jib, mathiaz and smoser should lead that effort. This will be confirmed by an email from ttx. Bug 571057 will make it, thanks to mathiaz last-minute merge and testing.

Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (hggdh)

hggdh reported new regressions in eucalyptus. A fix is in the works and should land tomorrow. smoser asked about people using uec-provisioning, and Daviey reported using it with success. SpamapS raised an extremely high new bug rate over the last few weeks, but old timers dismissed it as a very normal new bug rate.

Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (jjohansen)

jjohansen reported bug 597387 as now working in all zones. For bug 574910, he has a test kernel building, and should have an update for that tonight.

Weekly Updates & Questions for the Community Team (kim0)

kim0 launched the maps effort for 10.04.1: see http://maps.ubuntu.com/

Open Discussion

Daviey raised bug 613463 — the dependency should be reverted, pending a discussion with cjwatson on a potentially better fix. And SpamapS bragged about CEPH being in Maverick now !

Agree on next meeting date and time

Next meeting will be on Tuesday 2010-08-17 at 1800 UTC – #ubuntu-meeting

Server Team 20100803 meeting minutes

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes on Tuesday, 3 August 2010 by Robbie

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
with the irc logs here.

Meeting Actions

  • SpamapS to send ruby gems proposel to ubuntu-devel
  • zul to clean up the SRU assigne list by prodding people on status
  • everyone to pick 1 or 2 papercuts for the beta cycle

Review ACTION points from previous meeting

  • SpamapS to work with mathiaz on a proposal, and send proposal to -devel on ruby gems in ubuntu: Work in progress.
  • Daviey & kirkland to review http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/serverguide/C/uec.html: DONE.

  • entire team to fix your papercuts by end-of-the-week: reviewed later in a meeting topic.
  • SpamapS and ScottK to reivew Kolab php5 patches: patches submitted to upstream and should be available after alpha3.

Maverick development (jib)

  • alpha3 overcommitted, several WI postponed to beta.
  • cloud-utils, daily-vcs, uec-monitoring: won’t be able to be done before FF.
  • added blueprints to track ongoing work like ISO testing and triaging, just to provide more insight, so those will be in the tracker as well starting the beta cycle.
  • most blueprints should be scoped for the beta workloads now, so please have a look and make sure there are no anomalies.

Alpha3-milestoned bugs (ttx)

  • remaining bugs were retargeted to beta
  • UEC: All-in-one topo working, other topologies and loadtesrting are still very broken

Alpha3 ISO testing (ttx)

  • ISO respin tomorrow morning: concentrate your ISO testing efforts on tomorrow’s
  • Cloud images will also be respun.

Remember area of ISO testing, it’s marked down on the corresponding work item.

Magical powers

ttx bragged about the fact that he could take on a triceratops with his bare hands and the power of his look. jiboumans shattered ttx dreams reminding him that science had proved triceratops didn’t actually exist.

Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (hggdh)

  • Eucalyptus only works in all-in-one

Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (jjohansen)

Weekly Updates & Questions for the Community Team (kim0)

  • working with IS on releasing the maps app for the 10.04.1 release
  • Cloud Portal specs updated and feedback is welcome

Weekly SRU review (zul)

Server papercuts (ttx)

Team member activity and presence: Eurekastreams

  • mathiaz ran into Eureka streams and wondered if that could be used track team member activity automatically. jiboumans, ttx and Spamaps looked at it and found potential.

  • ttx has been missing recently is some presence tool. Eureka streams may not help in that regard. Being able to tell people are “at work”. Crosscheking with calendars doesn’t really help.

Agree on next meeting date and time

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, August 10th at 18:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.