Archive for July, 2010

Ubuntu Server Update for Maverick Meerkat Alpha3

Posted in Ubuntu Server on Saturday, 10 July 2010 by jiboumans

We’ve just started the Alpha3 cycle for Maverick. In broad strokes the plans are unchanged, but there are some notable developments:

  • Several of the Java projects we are adopting are quite fast moving. We are looking into a solution that favours ease of discovery of new releases. If you have any thoughts on the matter, please review the affected blueprints and let us know your thoughts.
  • A few blueprints could really use your help! To get the best possible bug reports, apport hooks are tremendously helpful. If you have a few spare cycles, consider writing one or two!
  • Everybody loves trying new versions of software, especially if they fix an issue you’ve been running into. The daily VCS blueprint is doing exactly that and there’s plenty on the list to pick from, or create one for your own favourite package.

As a reminder, for those doing feature work in Ubuntu, Alpha 3 is the last milestone before Feature Freeze, so make sure you get your changes in before then.

If you’d like to contribute to the Maverick release, please join us at our weekly IRC meetings on Tuesdays between 1800 and 1900 UTC on #ubuntu-meeting on irc.freenode.net.

On behalf of the Ubuntu Server Team,

-Jos

Server Team meeting minutes 2010-07-06

Posted in Ubuntu Server, Ubuntu Server meeting minutes on Wednesday, 7 July 2010 by jiboumans
Review ACTION points from previous meeting
  • jjohansen to send email regarding atop patchset – DONE
  • mathiaz to provide work items for Alpha3 on his specs by Thursday – DONE
  • SpamapS to ask kees whether it’s good to seed – DONE
    • Kees says ok to seed libmemcached and memcached into main
  • jjohansen to appropriately prioritze bug 576066 – CARRY OVER
    • The kernel team is looking for feedback and needs hardware to test on
  • sommer to ping mdke re: refresh issue, through email this time – CARRY OVER
    • Pinged, but no reply. Consider next steps for the following meeting
  • everyone to assign themselves to 2 papercuts – DONE
    • Last item was assigned during the meeting.
Maverick development (jib)
Alpha3 development is tracked at the Work Item tracker.
All specs should be appropriately targeted & work items defined by Wednesday EOB.
If there are any questions, please ping jib and he’ll help resolve them.
Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (jjohansen)
Regarding Bug:597387: Maverick EC2 kernel issue, jjohansen created a new Xen kernel and will be testing it during the week. Once that is stabilized, jjohansen will work on a pv-ops kernel.
The kernel team is still looking for active feedbackon the merit of including the atop kernel patches.
Please chime in if you have feedback to offer!
Weekly SRU review (zul)
Chuck announced the new SRU process on the mailing list last week, which should make it easier to nominate new SRUs and track them:
  1. Bug is fixed in development release.
  2. A weekly email is sent to the Ubuntu Server mailing list on the Monday.
  3. Users will have until Friday to nominate bugs that have been fixed in the development list, by giving a +1 to the bug number and the reason for it.
  4. The nominations will be reviewed and be nominated accordingly based on investigation
This weeks nominations were sent out on MondayPlease nominate those you’d like to see approved by Friday!
You can track the overall process of nominated & approved SRUs in the new SRU Tracker, which is updated nightly.
Weekly Updates & Questions for the Documentation Team (sommer)
Sommer reminds us that if you find a bug in the documentation, you should file it against ubuntu-docs
Open Discussion
SpamapS would like to add a topic for next weeks meeting on improving Rubygems in Ubuntu.
Mathias points him at Bug:403407 for the background on the current state.
Agree on next meeting date and time
Next meeting will be on Tuesday 2010-07-20 at 1800 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting
On behalf of the Ubuntu Server Team,
- Jos Boumans

Server team 20100629 meeting minutes

Posted in Ubuntu Server on Friday, 2 July 2010 by s3hh

== Agenda ==

Please take responsibility for an item if you are adding it, thus we can turn to you when the item crops up. :)

Chair/Scribe will be: hallyn

Items we will be discussing:

* Review ACTION points from previous meeting
* ttx to coordinate testing for Alpha 2
* smoser to chase IS regarding cjwatson’s access and improving https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UEC/Images/Publishing
* jjohansen to ask kamal to email ubuntu-server mailing list with results of atop patchset
* jjohansen, tim or andy to email ccheney and Daviey with test kernels for bug #588861
* People to subscribe to the test coverage for http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/build/ubuntuserver/all
* hggdh to email interested parties about the results of the ppa euca build
* jjohansen to follow up on bug #TBC – EC2 kernel (lucid/maverick kernel ?)
* zul to mail the ubuntu-server mailing list with the SRU nomination process, and document his process from there
* Maverick development (ttx)
* Alpha2 [[http://people.canonical.com/~pitti/workitems/maverick/canonical-server-maverick-alpha-2.html|subcycle status]]: Specs should at 90-100% completion now (flag remaining work items needing to be postponed)
* Alpha2-milestoned [[https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/maverick/+bugs?field.milestone=27560|bugs]]:
* Bug Bug:588410: dynamic block storage should use virtio
* Bug Bug:595421: Eucalyptus doesn’t start with latest stable version of “Groovy”
* Bug Bug:574554: tgtd needs init script or upstart job
* [[http://people.canonical.com/~pitti/workitems/maverick/canonical-server-maverick-alpha-3.html|Alpha3 subcycle]] starts Friday
* Alpha2 [[http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/build/ubuntuserver/all|ISO testing coverage]] (ttx)
* smoser: EC2 images
* kirkland/Daviey/ccheney: Maverick UEC topologies, UEC Maverick images (on Lucid UEC), Netboot tests
* hallyn/mathiaz/SpamapS/zul: non-UEC Ubuntu Server tests, Upgrade server
* ttx/hggdh: random testing, cover holes in testing, replace missing people
* Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (hggdh)
* Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (jjohansen)
* Bug Bug:588861: “pad block corrupted” error with >=2.6.34 kernel
* atop kernel patch
* Maverick EC2 kernel issue (LP: #??)
* Bug Bug:576066: ums-cypress.ko missing from server installer
* Weekly Updates & Questions for the Documentation Team (sommer)
* Papercuts status (ttx)
* Alpha2 [[https://launchpad.net/server-papercuts/+milestone/maverick-alpha-2|iteration final status]]
* Alpha3 [[https://launchpad.net/server-papercuts/+milestone/maverick-alpha-3|iteration]] starts Friday, assign yourself
* Weekly SRU review: [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/KnowledgeBase#SRU%20weekly%20review]] (zul)
* New [[http://people.canonical.com/~chucks/SRUTracker/sru-tracker-bugs.html|SRU Tracker]]
* New SRU process ?
* Open Discussion
* Announce next meeting date and time
* Tuesday 2010-07-06 at 1800 UTC – #ubuntu-meeting

Please feel free to add more items to the agenda for the next meeting. We will discuss them in turn when it arrives.

== Minutes ==

==== Review ACTION points from previous meeting ====

* ttx to coordinate testing for Alpha 2
* done
* smoser to chase IS regarding cjwatson’s access and improving
* done
* jjohansen to ask kamal to email ubuntu-server mailing list with results of atop patchset
* kamal did basic testing
* jjohansen emailed jos, and ttx, and sent an email to k-t for discussion
* [ACTION] jjohansen to send email regarding atop patchset
* jjohansen, tim or andy to email ccheney and Daviey with test kernels for bug #588861
* this was DONE and fixed.
* Daviey notes that the kernel team and ccheney rock
* hggdh to email interested parties about the results of the ppa euca build
* tests still being run on latest & greatest version of the patch. So far, so good
* right now, ~400 instances, no issue
* jjohansen to follow up on bug #TBC – EC2 kernel (lucid/maverick kernel ?)
* Launchpad bug 597387 in Ubuntu “pv-ops kernel only works in 3 or 4 zones in EC2″ [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/597387
* zul to mail the ubuntu-server mailing list with the SRU nomination process, and document his process from there
* done

==== Maverick development (ttx) ====
* http://people.canonical.com/~pitti/workitems/maverick/canonical-server-maverick-alpha-2.html
* Specs should be at 90-100% now
* Alpha2-milestoned bugs
* Launchpad bug 588410 in eucalyptus (Ubuntu Maverick) “dynamic block storage should use virtio” [High,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/588410
* Launchpad bug 595421 in eucalyptus (Ubuntu Maverick) “Eucalyptus doesn’t start with latest stable version of “Groovy”” [High,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/595421
* Launchpad bug 574554 in tgt (Ubuntu Maverick) “tgtd needs init script or upstart job” [Medium,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/574554
* Alpha3 subcycle starts Friday
* http://people.canonical.com/~pitti/workitems/maverick/canonical-server-maverick-alpha-3.html
* [ACTION] mathiaz to provide work items for Alpha3 on his specs by Thursday
* Launchpad bug 586638 in libmemcached (Ubuntu) “[MIR] libmemcached” [Undecided,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/586638
* SpamapS to ask kees whether it’s good to seed

==== Alpha2 ISO testing coverage (ttx) ====
* alpha2 milestone candidates should hit us RSN
* smoser will cover the EC2 images
* kirkland/Daviey/ccheney: Maverick UEC topologies, UEC Maverick images (on Lucid UEC), Netboot tests
* hallyn/mathiaz/SpamapS/zul: non-UEC Ubuntu Server tests, Upgrade server
* ttx/hggdh: random testing, cover holes in testing, replace missing people
* ttx will replace mathiaz

==== Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (jjohansen) ====
* Launchpad bug 588861 in linux (Ubuntu Maverick) “”pad block corrupted” error when trying to register an image with 2.6.34 kernel” [High,Fix committed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/588861
* atop kernel patch
* will send email to server list
* Maverick EC2 kernel issue
* at this point we’ll have Lucidish kernels in A2
* we will have a kernel for A3
* Launchpad bug 576066 in linux (Ubuntu) “ums_cypress missing from lucid server cd” [Undecided,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/576066
* jjohansen will prioritize appropriately

==== Weekly Updates & Questions for the Documentation Team (sommer) ====
* ttx: sommer: did you fix the refresh issue ?
* [ACTION] sommer to ping mdke again, through email this time

==== Papercuts status (ttx) ====
* 14 targets – 10 fixed, 2 postponed, 2 invalidated
* ttx processed the numerous nominations for A3 and decided to choose 18 among the 18 valid ones
* https://launchpad.net/server-papercuts/+milestone/maverick-alpha-3
* You should each have ~2 bugs assigned to you in that list
* [ACTION] everyone to assign themselves to 2 papercuts from https://launchpad.net/server-papercuts/+milestone/maverick-alpha-3

==== Weekly SRU review: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/KnowledgeBase#SRU%20weekly%20review (zul) ====
* http://qa.ubuntu.com/reports/ubuntu-server-team/fixedbugs.ubuntu-server.latest.html
* Launchpad bug 576949 in mysql-dfsg-5.1 (Ubuntu) “[lucid] LOAD DATA INFILE fails in replication, simple patch available in 5.1.43″ [Medium,In progress]
* zul+ttx agree it is a candidate
* Launchpad bug 597818 in dovecot (Ubuntu) “Include files parsed in reverse order” [Undecided,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/597818
* zul says looks good to him
* Launchpad bug 589056 in net-snmp (Ubuntu) “snmpd fails to upgrade” [High,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/589056
* ttx will nominate for lucid

==== Agree on next meeting date and time ====

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, July 6th at 15:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.