Server Team 20090922 meeting minutes

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
with the irc logs here.

Review ACTION points from previous meeting

  • soren to add manifest files to UEC images build system for alpha6: Done
  • Daviey to update Asterisk 1.6 to RC1: In bzr and PPA, need sponsorship

ACTION: Daviey to get his Asterisk 1.6RC2 update sponsored

  • soren to publish ec2-version-query in a more appropriate place: assumed to be in hands of release team

ACTION: soren to clear out status for ec2-version-query publication

  • soren to automate updating of ec2-version-query”: Blocked by previous ACTION
  • zul to ensure rabbitmq-server gets reviewed and promoted: Done
  • soren to sponsor the patch for bug 420581 and update his vmbuilder on nectarine: Done
  • ivoks to file FFe for the redhat-cluster update: Done, bug 429834

Carried-on items, for reference:

ACTION: soren to automate updating of ec2-version-query” (once publication is resolved)

ACTION: kirkland to open discussion on how to best solve the remaining configuration options on Moodle appliance

ACTION: kirkland to get help from soren and smoser on proper UEC-compatible image generation

ACTION: kirkland to discuss with niemeyer and nurmi about image store integration testing

Alpha6 postmortem analysis

Alpha6 went out last week and was globally a smoother release process than Alpha5 release. A few todo items have been identified, to be implemented for beta release:

  • Define seeds for vmbuilder to use (cjwatson, soren)
  • MIR all non-main packages used in images (smoser), in progress

This includes using euca2ools, which in the latest version is ec2-interface compatible.

ACTION: soren to update to latest euca2ools

  • Publish ec2-version-query in a appropriate place (soren)
  • Automate image publishing (smoser)
  • Add build toolchain version numbers to manifests (soren)

ACTION: soren to add image-generation-toolchain version numbers to manifests

Roadmap review: UEC/EC2 images bugs

The karmic kernel used in the Alpha6 images turned out very good. The only issue reported about it is a few missing config options (bug 428692) and lack of modules (bug 429169).

The most blocking issues in those lists are the MIR bugs since they don’t strictly depend on the team and might raise last-minute extra work.

ACTION: zul to follow up on the UEC/EC2 packages MIR status

A bug needs to be filed about the fact that the images include unsupported packages, and targeted to beta.

ACTION: smoser to file one bug for the fact that the images include unsupported packages

Roadmap review: Packaging and integration of Eucalyptus 1.6

ttx performed some feature/usability testing on the Cluster install side that uncovered multiple issues preventing autoregistering of components to work properly. The blocking issue is that it is no longer possible to register using “localhost”, the external IP addresses must be used instead (as they will be passed to other components), see bug 434651. This might involve asking the user for the cluster’s user *and* node facing IPs. euca_conf should also support for forcing local copy of keys (bug 434651).

erichammond asked about euca2ools having to provide ec2-* links to the euca-* commands. At this point this is still under discussion. That discussion needs to happen somewhere, so a bug will be filed to support it.

ACTION: ttx to file bug about providing ec2-* command names which call euca2ools

Roadmap review: Virtual appliance

kirkland reported a slowdown in appliance creation last week, as other priorities kicked in. He encountered some issues creating the images, mostly related to vmbuilder and debconf questions. Several community members contacted him to propose their own VM appliances and appliance builders. mdz said that the reference appliance must be produced this week. We need a fully reproducible build system but producing a reference appliance to exercise UEC and the image store is more urgent. mdz will take the opportunity of being at LinuxCon with kirkland to discuss this more.

ACTION: mdz to sync with kirkland on Virtual appliance status

On the image store side things seem to be under control, with niemeyer pushing last fixes and mathiaz packaging them.

Assigned and to-be-assigned bugs

Review of the bug list raised the following remarks:

  • cjwatson considers himself almost entirely done with the eucalyptus tasks that were assigned to him
  • nurmi mentioned potential need for a few more bits in the init script to take into account /etc/eucalyptus/installer-cc.conf and will follow up with filing a bug if necessary
  • soren has a lot of bugs assigned, ttx will reassign a few to himself
  • mdz noticed that wishlist bugs should be omitted from that list unless they’re targeted

ACTION: ttx to poke QA team about omitting untargeted wishlist bugs from the buglist and add something to those pages which tell you who to contact about them

Weekly SRU review

Most bugs in the recently-fixed bug list pertain to karmic only, so nothing stands out as SRU-worthy. No nominations this week.

On the list of accepted bugs with an assignee, zul said most of them are now waiting to be accepted into *-proposed. mathiaz said we should start using bzr branches to handle the SRU process, and wanted to involve sbeattie in the process.

ACTION: mathiaz to involve sbeattie in the Weekly SRU review process

Open Discussion

erichammond said he still can’t update importance on any ec2-images bugs, as he is not a member of bugcontrol yet. mdz fixed it.

Agree on next meeting date and time

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, September 29th at 15:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

Soren should soon start a discussion about moving the meeting to another time, as the extended duration of the meeting doesn’t fit “people in CET with families” constraints.

About these ads

One Response to “Server Team 20090922 meeting minutes”

  1. These minutes are always much appreciated – thought it was worth saying :)
    Regarding appliances, support for OVF would be great. I think it has already been implemented in virtualbox, so maybe some code is even already there….

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

%d bloggers like this: