Archive for April, 2009

Server Team 20090428 meeting minutes

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes on Tuesday, 28 April 2009 by Robbie

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
with the irc logs here.

Release party at the Jackalope bar in Austin, TX.

mathiaz started by congratulating everyone about the Jaunty release. kirkland reported on the release party hold at the Jackalope bar in Austin, TX: around 30 people showed up and the guinness were $2.50/pint, happy hour prices.

kirkland also announced the probable location of the next release party in Austi, TX: the Karma bar.

ACTION: kirkland to organize the Austin release party for Karmic at the Karma bar.

Features for karmic

Now that the release cycle for Karmic has officially started mathiaz reminded the process to submit ideas for new features to be developed in the coming months. Start by creating a blueprint in launchpad with a name starting with server-karmic-. Then propose the blueprint for the Karmic sprint. That will make the idea show up on dendrobates list and he will choose which one should be discussed during the next UDS.

ivoks mentioned that the server section of brainstorm would also provide a good idea of what users ask for.

High Availability Team

RoAkSoAx presented the idea of creating a team around High Availability ubuntu-ha in Ubuntu. Packages such as Heartbeat, Keepalived, ipvsadm, ldirectord, lvs would have their bug contact set as the team. A mailing list could also be created to discuss topics related to High Availability in Ubuntu.

ACTION: RoAkSoAx to create an ubuntu-ha team, create a mailing list for it, make the ubuntu-ha team a bug contact for relevant packages and start triaging bugs.

New HowTo’s for the Server Guide, Clustering Related

RoAkSoAx offered to write some tutorials about setting up an high availability infrastructure with Ubuntu. mathiaz suggested to start by looking at the existing wiki pages in the Ubuntu community wiki and see how they could be improved. Once the content is updated including it in the server guide is welcome.

ACTION: RoAkSoAx to look at the wiki pages on h.u.com/community/ and identify the ones relevant to HA.

Agree on next meeting date and time

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, May 5th at 15:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

Server Team 20090421 meeting minutes

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes on Wednesday, 22 April 2009 by Thierry Carrez

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online with the irc logs here.

Review ACTION points from previous meeting

ivoks had to review status of bug 360689. ivoks was not around for the meeting but since the bug is now in “Fix Released” state the action is assumed to be completed.

Jaunty release

ttx reminded everyone that final ISO testing is in full swing, with a few testcases still needing testers. Everyone is welcome to participate ! dendrobates mentioned the need to test the F4/minimal install case as well. The 20090421.1 images are shaping up to be the final 9.04 server release.

Ideas for Karmic

ttx pointed again at the ServerTeam/IdeaPool being open for Karmic development ideas. Another option for more advanced or complex proposals is to submit directly a blueprint in Launchpad and subscribe the ubuntu-server team to it. Last option, mentioned by aruetten, is to use the brainstorm.ubuntu.com server section.

Open Discussion

Ubuntu release parties will be happening very soon. Some server team members will be attending the one in Aalborg, Denmark. kirkland is organizing one at a bar called The Jackalope in Austin, TX.

Agree on next meeting date and time

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, April 28th at 15:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

Server Team 20090414 meeting minutes

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes on Wednesday, 15 April 2009 by Robbie

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
with the irc logs here.

Release critical bugs

mathiaz mentioned two bugs he ran into during his testing. Launchpad bug 360832 (unable to boot from the second disk of a RAID1 array – error 21) and bug 360825 (kvm 0.84 doesn’t create three drives in the guest). There was some discussion with kirkland about reproducing them so that their importance for jaunty can be set.

ScottK highlighted bug 360689 (Default Ubuntu configuration is backscatter source in Jaunty). He asked ivoks for a quick review and may fix the problem between RC and release.

ISO testing

mathiaz reminded that 9.04 RC is scheduled for Thursday. ubuntu-server isos are currently being rolled out. Testing coordination happens on the Iso testing tracker. There are 15 test cases for each iso and each testcase has a detailed description of what needs to be done. Any help in this area is welcome.

Ideas for Karmic

mathiaz announced that while the last push for Jaunty is done ideas for the next release cycle can already be gathered. The Server team Idea pool wiki page is the place to add new ideas.

Clamav in Jaunty

ScottK mentioned that the latest version of clamav had been uploaded to Jaunty. Packages for the backports repository have also been prepared.

Agree on next meeting date and time

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, April 21st at 15:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

Server Team 20090407 meeting minutes

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes on Wednesday, 8 April 2009 by Thierry Carrez

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online with the irc logs here.

Review ACTION points from previous meeting

There were no ACTION points from previous meeting to review.

Review progress made on the Roadmap items

Nobody reported any significant issue, which is good given our current position in the release cycle.

sommer noted that given that StringFreeze is in order and TranslationFreeze coming up very soon, from now on documentation fixes would rather apply to the next release and be done as a Jaunty SRU.

Open Discussion

ttx remembered everyone that FinalFreeze will be in effect starting this Thursday. So now is the last time to submit significant bugs and regressions so that they can be fixed without triggering exception procedures.

egbert asked about further improvements of the postfix-dovecot mail system and ivoks replied that those will now apply to the next release cycle.

Finally ivoks reported that we all rock, but I think it’s a duplicate since we already know that.

Agree on next meeting date and time

After a brief discussion about moving the meetings to US afternoons, it was decided that US mornings (which means Europe afternoons) are still the best time to maximize meeting participation. So next meeting will still be on Tuesday, April 14th at 15:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.