Server Team 20080909 meeting minutes

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
with the irc logs here.

Ubuntu VM builder

soren is working on a bug in parted. Once the fix is uploaded he plans to write up a blog post detailing the new vm-builder.

nijaba started to write a tutorial about vm-builder. It’s based on the JeOS tutorial. A draft is available.

ACTION: soren to write a blog post about vm-builder once it’s available in the archive

ACTION: nijaba to write a tutorial on vm-builder – https://help.ubuntu.com/community/JeOSVMBuilder

ACTION: sommer to update the virtualization section of the server guide with references to the new ubuntu-vm-builder

Review ServerGuide for Intrepid

jdstrand made a review of the firewall and ufw section of the Ubuntu Server Guide. sommer reminded that the String Freeze for the Documentation Team is October, the 2nd. mathiaz added that UIFreeze is in effect. Reviewing the server guide and making sure that the command lines, configuration files and other examples are up-to-date with regard to the changes in Intrepid is very welcomed.

ACTION: mathiaz to review the ldap section of the server guide

ACTION: kirkland to review the RAID section of the server guide

Boot Support for Degraded RAID

kirland stated that most of the bugs have been fixed. More widespread testing is welcomed. The last thing to implement is to add a debconf question in the installer asking for what behavior is wanted (BOOT_DEGRADED=true|false).

ACTION: kirkland to write another blog post asking for raid testing

ACTION: kirkland to add a question to the installer about the default behavior

Ubuntu Manpage Repository

kirkland announced officially the existence of the Ubuntu Manpage Repository. Initial response has been great so far. He asked for help for a couple of tasks: adding support for the online repository to the man command and improving the search engine. These tasks will added to the wiki page tracking the progress of this project.

Encrypted ~/Private Directory in Each User’s Home

cjwatson added a debconf question to the alternate installer. mathiaz raised the question whether this was useful in the server install. Further discussion about this issue was deferred.

nxvl asked about end users upgrading from hardy. mathiaz replied that the default install in intrepid won’t have a Private/ directory setup by default so upgrades from hardy shouldn’t setup Private/ directory either.

Tomcat6 server stack support

Koon stated that the two remaining issues in Java dependencies had been fixed, bringing the total dep count from 87 packages down to a more reasonable 27 packages. There are still a couple of deps that could be removed (gcj recommends) but that should rather be in intrepid+1.

Koon started to look into the tomcat5.5 package. He’s focusing on porting relevant bug fixes from the tomcat6 package.

ACTION: mathiaz to review Koon patch wrt to FF exception.

landscape-client in Ubuntu

dendrobates announced that landscape-client had been uploaded to the archive. It should be included in the next alpha. The output of landscape-sysinfo will be included in motd.

ACTION: mathiaz to write a blog post about landscape in intrepid.

Agree on next meeting date and time

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, September 16th at 15:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

About these ads

One Response to “Server Team 20080909 meeting minutes”

  1. Thank you! very useful. Keep it with good work. :)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

%d bloggers like this: