Archive for September, 2008

Server Team 20080930 meeting minutes

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes on Tuesday, 30 September 2008 by Robbie

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
with the irc logs here.

Ubuntu vm builder

soren uploaded a new version that only fixes bugs. mathiaz asked about the supported images. soren said that xen had been supported for a few weeks now. He added that there was some interest to get virtualbox supported as well. For vmware nijaba stated that player, workstation and server should work. For ESX it may need a manual conversion with tools provided by VMware. Testing on these platforms is welcome.

nijaba has updated the the JeOS VmBuilder tutorial and would like to get some feedback on it.

JeOS for Intrepid

mathiaz noted that the JeOS iso won’t be produced for Intrepid. JeOS is instead an option when booting the -server installer by pressing F4 at the first screen. JeOS has also been renamed to Minimal Install.

However the linux-image-virtual kernel meta package isn’t available. The -server flavor is installed instead. soren is working on getting the virtual meta packages ready. mathiaz asked whether something else had to be done in the installer to get the virtual flavor installed. soren said the virtual flavor should be seeded but wasn’t sure if the installer code had to be updated.

Review ServerGuide for Intrepid

mathiaz reviewed the ldap section. He is planning on doing more testing to cover the replication section.

ACTION: sommer to update the JeOS and installation sections

ACTION: zul to do review of the virtualization of the server guide

ACTION: mathiaz to update the support section

nagios3 in main

Koon reported that nagios3 had been promoted to main. mathiaz seeded the packages on the server cd replacing the nagios2 packages.

Ubuntu Server Survey

nijaba announced that the Ubuntu Server survey had been launched. So far it got more than 2000 full replies. The result will be published before UDS. The survey will be closed on the last week of November. He also added that the launch plan was working well. Digging it is welcome !

ACTION: kirkland to blog about the server survey

Beta Freeze and release

mathiaz reminded that the archive was frozen in preparation for Beta scheduled for Thursday. As usual iso testing is coordinated on the Iso testing tracker.

Automatic RAID install

mathiaz reported that partman-auto-raid had been promoted to main and was now on the server iso. RAID installation can now be automated via preseeding.

DRBD

ivoks reported that DRBD was broken in Intrepid. The kernel module (8.2.6) isn’t working with the tools (8.0.12) currently in the archive. He also added that updating the tools to 8.2.6 wouldn’t fix the issue. He successfully tested 8.2.7rc1 (both for the kernel module and the userspace tools).

ACTION: ivoks to send the drbd patch to the ubuntu-kernel mailing list to get 8.2.7rc1 in intrepid

ACTION: ivoks to upload 8.2.7 tools to a PPA ready for testing and sponsoring

Agree on next meeting date and time

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, October 7th at 15:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

Ubuntu Server survey launched

Posted in Ubuntu Server on Friday, 26 September 2008 by Robbie

The Server Team wants to know where does Ubuntu Server fit in your IT environment. Members of the Server team devised a set of questions to better understand where and why you are using Ubuntu Server to support your IT infrastructure. Completing the survey takes around 20 minutes and topics such as hardware, virtualization and system integration are covered.

Co-sponsored by RedMonk Research, the survey will help prioritize feature requests, guide partnerships when choosing new technologies and provide input for the next Ubuntu Developer Summit in December 2008. Make your voice heard, shape the future of Ubuntu Server, take the survey !

Server Team 20080923 meeting minutes

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes on Wednesday, 24 September 2008 by Robbie

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
with the irc logs here.

Ubuntu vm builder

soren published a post about his work on the vm-builder package. nijaba is working on updating his JeOS tutorial to use vm-builder. sommer mentioned that he planned to add a note about xen support in the virtulization section of the Ubuntu Server Guide.

ACTION: sommer to update the virtulization section with a reference to xen in vm-builder

Review ServerGuide for Intrepid

kirkland reviewed the RAID section of the Server Guide. A section about tomcat has also been added based on the work from Koon. sommer asked what the security question in the installer was exactly doing. No one had a definite answer.

ACTION: mathiaz to review the ldap section of the server guide

ACTION: sommer to look into the security updates part of the installer to figure out what it does exactly and document it

nagios3 in main

Koon hadn’t had time to ask an archive admin to look into the issue. mathiaz suggested to file a bug explaining why nagios3 didn’t need a MIR and ask ubuntu-mir to approve it. Once done, the server-ship seed can be fixed.

ACTION: Koon to file a bug explaining the state of nagios3, subscribe ubuntu-mir to it and get approved

ACTION: mathiaz to update the server-ship to use nagios3 instead of nagios2

Beta Freeze

mathiaz reminded that BetaFreeze is coming this Thursday in preparation for the Release of 8.10 Beta next week. Helping out with iso testing is welcomed. Coordination is done in #ubuntu-testing and on the Iso testing tracker.

Ubuntu Server survey

nijaba announced that the Ubuntu Server was ready to be launched on Wednesday, September the 24th. Canonical will issue a press release and the Ubuntu marketing team should help to get the word out.

Ebox

wst reported that ebox is currently broken in intrepid. mathiaz pointed him to the ebox PPA.

Encrypted directory install step during the server install

kirkland mentioned the ongoing thread on the ubuntu-server@ mailing list about the usefulness of the Encrypted directories setup step in the server install. Discussion is still going on and feedback is welcomed.

Agree on next meeting date and time

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, September 30th at 15:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

Server Team 20080916 meeting minutes

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes on Tuesday, 16 September 2008 by Robbie

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
with the irc logs here.

Ubuntu VM builder

soren has been working on fixing bugs in vm-builder. He also added support for EC2.

ACTION: soren to write a blog post about vm-builder once it’s available in the archive

ACTION: sommer to update the virtualization section of the server guide once vm-builder is available in the archive

Review ServerGuide for Intrepid

Koon offered to draft a section about tomcat for the Ubuntu Server Guide.

ACTION: mathiaz to review the ldap section of the server guide

ACTION: kirkland to review the RAID section of the server guide

ACTION: Koon to draft a section about tomcat for the Server Guide.

Boot Support for Degraded RAID

kirkland added a question to the installer covering the topic of booting from a RAID array. If / or /boot is installed on an md device a question is asked about setting BOOT_DEGRADED to true or false. He also wrote a call for testing on his blog.

Tomcat6 server stack support

Koon reported that a new tomcat task is available at installation time. The number of dependencies is now reasonable. He has also been working on fixing tomcat5.5 in universe.

landscape-client in Ubuntu

mathiaz worked on splitting the landscape-client package into two. There are two blockers for Alpha6: a Pre-Depends on python-gobject and promotion of update-motd to main. He’s got a fix the first while kirkland is working on the latter.

Drupal install script

tarvid mentioned the script he wrote to install multiple instances of drupal. mathiaz suggested he comments on the Web Framework specification.

nagios3 in main

mathiaz inquired about the status of nagios3. Although its MIR had been accepted the package was never moved to main in hardy. In intrepid nagios2 disappeared while nagios3 entered universe. Koon is working on getting nagios3 promoted to main.

ACTION: Koon to ask an archive admin to promote nagios3 to main.

vsftpd 2.0.7

Adri2000 asked if a FF exception was needed for getting vsftpd 2.0.7 in intrepid. It wasn’t clear whether it was a bug-fix-only upstream release. mathiaz advised to ask for a FF exception, then work on an updated package and seek for sponsoring.

Mail server improvements

ScottK mentioned that clamav and spamassassin had been promoted to main and were available on the -server iso. clamav has also been updated to the latest version and may ship with an apparmor profile in Intrepid. He is also considering some refactoring of the amavisd-new configuration.

mathiaz asked if these packages would be added to the mail server task. ScottK said that may require some discussions.

ACTION: ScottK-laptop to start a discussion on ubuntu-server@ about adding spamassassin, clamav and amavisd-new to the mail-server task.

Agree on next meeting date and time

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, September 23th at 15:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

Server Team 20080909 meeting minutes

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes on Friday, 12 September 2008 by Robbie

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
with the irc logs here.

Ubuntu VM builder

soren is working on a bug in parted. Once the fix is uploaded he plans to write up a blog post detailing the new vm-builder.

nijaba started to write a tutorial about vm-builder. It’s based on the JeOS tutorial. A draft is available.

ACTION: soren to write a blog post about vm-builder once it’s available in the archive

ACTION: nijaba to write a tutorial on vm-builder – https://help.ubuntu.com/community/JeOSVMBuilder

ACTION: sommer to update the virtualization section of the server guide with references to the new ubuntu-vm-builder

Review ServerGuide for Intrepid

jdstrand made a review of the firewall and ufw section of the Ubuntu Server Guide. sommer reminded that the String Freeze for the Documentation Team is October, the 2nd. mathiaz added that UIFreeze is in effect. Reviewing the server guide and making sure that the command lines, configuration files and other examples are up-to-date with regard to the changes in Intrepid is very welcomed.

ACTION: mathiaz to review the ldap section of the server guide

ACTION: kirkland to review the RAID section of the server guide

Boot Support for Degraded RAID

kirland stated that most of the bugs have been fixed. More widespread testing is welcomed. The last thing to implement is to add a debconf question in the installer asking for what behavior is wanted (BOOT_DEGRADED=true|false).

ACTION: kirkland to write another blog post asking for raid testing

ACTION: kirkland to add a question to the installer about the default behavior

Ubuntu Manpage Repository

kirkland announced officially the existence of the Ubuntu Manpage Repository. Initial response has been great so far. He asked for help for a couple of tasks: adding support for the online repository to the man command and improving the search engine. These tasks will added to the wiki page tracking the progress of this project.

Encrypted ~/Private Directory in Each User’s Home

cjwatson added a debconf question to the alternate installer. mathiaz raised the question whether this was useful in the server install. Further discussion about this issue was deferred.

nxvl asked about end users upgrading from hardy. mathiaz replied that the default install in intrepid won’t have a Private/ directory setup by default so upgrades from hardy shouldn’t setup Private/ directory either.

Tomcat6 server stack support

Koon stated that the two remaining issues in Java dependencies had been fixed, bringing the total dep count from 87 packages down to a more reasonable 27 packages. There are still a couple of deps that could be removed (gcj recommends) but that should rather be in intrepid+1.

Koon started to look into the tomcat5.5 package. He’s focusing on porting relevant bug fixes from the tomcat6 package.

ACTION: mathiaz to review Koon patch wrt to FF exception.

landscape-client in Ubuntu

dendrobates announced that landscape-client had been uploaded to the archive. It should be included in the next alpha. The output of landscape-sysinfo will be included in motd.

ACTION: mathiaz to write a blog post about landscape in intrepid.

Agree on next meeting date and time

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, September 16th at 15:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

August in the archive – a view from the Ubuntu Server Team

Posted in A month in the archive on Thursday, 4 September 2008 by Robbie

The month of August saw a lot of activity in the archive reaching Feature Freeze on Thursday, August the 28th.

PIE hardening

Kees Cook tackled one of the last point on his hardening ubuntu list: enabling PIE for a subset of the archive. While other hardening measures have been implemented directly in gcc PIE is enabled at the packaging level. Some of the packages natively support PIE  in their build process. But for the vast majority PIE is enabled by adding a build dependency on hardening-wrapper and exporting DEB_BUILD_HARDENING=1″ in the debian/rules file.

The lucky packages to provide increased protection against vulnerabilities include:

  • apache2
  • bind9
  • dhcp3
  • dovecot
  • openldap
  • postfix
  • postgresql
  • samba
  • openssh

UFW package integration

Jamie Strandboge updated ufw to support application profiles. Packages can simply add profiles to /etc/ufw/applications.d and dpkg triggers will discover the changes and update ufw accordingly. Nicolas Valcárcel and Didier Roche jumped in and added ufw application profiles to the following packages:

  • apache2
  • bind9
  • dovecot
  • openssh
  • postfix
  • samba

Dovecot 1.1

Dovecot has been merged from Debian experimental repository. This brings in support for the manage sieve protocol. Although Dovecot LDA has had support for sieve scripts for some time end-users management of sieve scripts is greatly enhanced now. End users don’t need shell or FTP access to upload their sieve scripts any more.

Pam-auth-update support

Steve Langasek improved the support for pam modules by implementing the Pam Config Framework specification. Packages can now declare which pam modules they’re providing. A central tool can be used by system administrators to choose which modules should be enabled for the system.

Several packages have been updated to support the new pam-auth-update command:

  • libpam-ldap
  • libpam-smbpass
  • libpam-cracklib
  • ecryptfs-utils (provides pam_ecryptfs)
  • libpam-ck-connector

Latest MySQL Community Edition

Following the upstream relase mysql 5.0.67 has been uploaded to the intrepid archive.

Openldap stable release

Openldap has been updated to version 2.4.11 which has been declared stable by the Openldap project:

The OpenLDAP Software stable release is the last release which has proven through general use to be the most reliable release available. OpenLDAP-2.4.11, as of 20080813, is considered stable.

The upload also marks the move from slapd.conf to the cn=config backend. Although slapd.conf support is still available new installs and package upgrades will only support the cn=config backend.

Server Team 20080902 meeting minutes

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes on Tuesday, 2 September 2008 by Robbie

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
with the irc logs here.

Ubuntu VM builder

soren uploaded his rework of ubuntu-vm-builder. The package has been renamed to vm-builder. It is waiting in the NEW queue to be processed by an archive administrator. nijaba has started to write up a tutorial based on the bzr branch of vm-builder. He plans to put it on the Ubuntu help wiki.

ACTION: soren to write a blog post about vm-builder once it’s available in the archive

ACTION: sommer to update the virtualization section of the server guide with references to the new ubuntu-vm-builder

ACTION: nijaba to write a tutorial on vm-builder and put it on the help wiki

ACTION: soren to ping UWN editor to get a paragraph about vm-builder in UWN

Tomcat6 server stack support

Koon wrote up a blog post which has been published on the ubuntuserver blog. mathiaz asked about the state of the patches to reduce the pulled in dependencies. Koon reported that two of them are left and doko was looking at them.

Review ServerGuide for Intrepid

sommer added a support paragraph to the server guide. He also reported that the ldap sections had been updated to cover the new cn=config backend. mathiaz reminded that sections that needed reviews were listed in the wiki page. Reviews can be conducted either online on the development documentation website or by checking out a bzr branch of the documentation as outlined in the knowledge base.

ACTION: kirkland to review the RAID section of the server guide

ACTION: mathiaz to review the ldap section of the server guide

ACTION: sommer to specify the review work on the Roadmap

Ubuntu Server survey

nijaba reported that a host had been provided for the server survey. He is looking for volunteers to check that everything is fine before the launch and start the announce as planned on the wiki. He thinks a good launch date could be Mon, September the 22nd. Anyone interested in helping out should contact him.

UFW Package Integration

jdstrand reported that ufw had been uploaded before Feature Freeze. Thanks to the good work of nxvl and didrocks support for ufw has been added to almost all packages from the server tasksel list. mathiaz asked if the the firewall section of the server guide had to be updated.

ACTION: jdstrand to review the firewall section of the ubuntu server guide

Alpha 5 and Feature Freeze

mathiaz reminded that alpha5 is scheduled for Thursday this week. Testing of the -server isos will be asked up to the release. He also added that now that Feature Freeze is in effect the development team is focusing on bug fixing and testing.

Clamav and Spamassass in Main

nealmcb asked about the state of clamav and spamassassin in intrepid. According to the wiki page all the MIRs have been written.

Agree on next meeting date and time

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, September 9th at 15:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.